Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How much cash I can take out from Japan 2008/1/10 16:04
Hi,

I am working in Jp now. My family members (7 persons) will travel to Jp soon in May. I am going back to my country next week and would like to bring Jp yen to them, since I am not able to meet them in May. What is the max limit of Jp yen cash that I am allowed to take out from Japan?
by wt  

Yen export 2008/1/10 18:57
There is no limit on the total amount of means of payment that may be brought into or taken out of Japan. However, if you transport means of payment exceeding 1,000,000yen or its equivalent or precious metal (more than 90% purity gold only) exceeding 1kg of total weight, you are required to submit a report to Customs. Means of payment include Japanese or foreign currencies, cheques ( including traveler's cheques ), promissory notes, and securities.
as mentioned by Japanese Customs
http://www.customs.go.jp/english/summary/passenger.htm
by Peter rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/10 20:49
Make sure you know not only Japanese customs policies but the policies of the country you are going to. I remember a news story a few months back where a Mexican immigrant leaving America had his cash confiscated because he failed to declare it. It was written on the customs form that he was supposed to declare any large amount of money, but he couldn't read English so he didn't know.
by Jon rate this post as useful

reply to this thread