Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Should I go to college in Japan or not? 2008/1/10 17:13
So, I want to because an English teacher in Japan and one of my big questions is if it would be better to take courses outside Japan, or if I should directly go to Japan and study there.

I'm wondering, will I be able to work there?

Will it be hard getting a student visa?

What kind of living accommodations would I have for options?

Any other random details from personal experience would be appreciated. Thank you :)
by MeganCrocker  

What's your goal? 2008/1/10 20:41
Your dream is to teach English in Japan? That's why you're going to college? If that's the case, then you really need to rethink your options. There are much better ways of making a living in Japan than teaching English. Major in finance or IT, get some work experience, study Japanese, and then make your move to Japan.

But then again, if your motive really is to teach English specifically for Japanese people and not just to live in Japan, then go to a college outside of Japan and major in English. A major in English is not required but it won't hurt (except for any other job you may end up applying for).
by Jon rate this post as useful

Question 2008/1/11 01:47
I think you should seriously consider what Jon said and others opinions on the matter but I'll answer your questions anyway. First of all I'm a college student living in Japan as I wright this.
"Is it hard t get a visa?" Yes and no, it depends on where you go and if the university will sponsor a visa or not. If the college does it's really quite simple, just mail a couple forms, copies of your passports, and prove financial viability (I forget how much it requires).
"will I be able to work there?" Yes, but by law only after the first semester and for limited hours. Furthermore both the government and your school must approve.
"What kind of living accommodations would I have for options?" By law you will be required to stay in University arranged housing for one semester but then after that you can get an apartment, and by apartment I mean very small. Or you can move into a gaijin house (House with many bedrooms and communal bath and kitchen).
But all in all if you want to hurry and get a start come to college here. Maybe even teach English part time at the same time and decide what to do from there.
by TheRage800 rate this post as useful

Jon, 2008/1/13 18:43
Thanks for answering. But I'm kind of confused as to why I need to rethink my answers. I suppose there are some things I could have not looked up thoroughly, but I don't know what. Is there something bad about being an English teacher?
by MeganCrocker rate this post as useful

Misunderstanding 2008/1/14 00:44
You are non-Japanese, right? You want to become ( I want to because .. ) an English teacher in Japan, right? Answers:
Japanese want to have a non-Japanese with English mother language and educated outside Japan. They do not want the English teacher to speak Japanese.
You want to become fluent in Japanese language and work with a Japanese or International company/association under use of your skills in mother tongue, other languages, Japanese language and specific knowledge in your field? Answer: study in Japan.
by . rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/14 00:49
Because there are sooo many unskilled "English teachers" here,
the occupation often sounds not so good.
by Toshi rate this post as useful

teaching 2008/1/14 04:18
Not to mention that with the collapse of the Nova school there are lots of unemployed English teachers in Japan.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

What career then? 2008/1/14 11:49
I'm sorry If I've asked to many questions but, are there other careers available for foreigners? To tell you the truth I'm still a bit young for this, but I'm trying to plan things out as early as possible.
by MeganCrocker rate this post as useful

Career in Japan as a foreigner 2008/1/14 23:26
Get a diploma in two of the following: engineering, economics or law. Learn two more major languages now at home, start learning Japanese now at home and make it "perfect" by studying for a year in Japan. This gives you good chances for a career in a Japanese company as a foreigner.
by . rate this post as useful

Go for it! 2008/1/15 03:08
I don't see any problem whatsoever if you want to teach English in Japan as long as you're serious.

By that, I mean finish a bachelor's program, getting teaching credentials, and becoming a skilled English teacher rather some folks who just go to Japan and teach because they have nothing else to do.

I personally would complete university in your own country and try out teaching with JET program or something similar.
by DanY rate this post as useful

reply to this thread