Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

GED? 2008/1/12 08:01
Im planning n doing my prereqs in america but after that I plan on going to Japan to become a trauma doctor. I have a GED does anyone have a list of the Universities that accept that?
by Riku  

. 2008/1/12 09:04
A quick search of Japan-guide:
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+33360

Remember schools are very competitive.
by John rate this post as useful

Japanese level 2008/1/12 11:22
Do you speak and read native-speaker level Japanese? If not there is really no use pursuing this path.
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/12 13:25
Two and a half years left learning japanese plus what I already know
by Riku rate this post as useful

Japan 2008/1/12 13:30
So JLPT 1? Even that is probably not high enough. And nationality? The number of foreign nationals who have become doctors in Japan is just a handful, and most of them are in private practice serving mostly the foreign community. I'm not trying to be a downer, just letting you know that very few people have ever done what you want to do- don't get your hopes up too high.

. 2008/1/12 14:45
Nationality is becoming less and less of an issue everyday in Japan, I looked and the reason the foreign doctors is low because of language. In America you can speak any language and become a doctor, in Japan you have to know Japanese. Too many people its a daunting task, but I'm up to it.

. 2008/1/12 15:07
I'm sorry, but in America you have to know english to become a Doctor, just like in Japan you have to know Japanese to become a doctor. Even Spanish speaking doctors need to be certified to practice in English.

How does one become a trauma or ER doctor in the US without knowing English? One would have to go through undergraduate students, medical school, a residency program etc without knowing english in the united states?

How do you become an effective doctor in Japan if you cannot communicate with the patients, nurses, other doctors, and paramedics?

. 2008/1/12 15:33
Okay you misunderstood me the point is at my mom's job (a hospital) some of the mexican doctors know only a little bit of english, this is way off point the point I was trying to make is as long as I learn the language all of my research points to a high posibility of getting a job in Japan. BTW tauma patients usualy are in too bad of shape to say much of anything, but thats besides the point.When my Uncle went to Japan recently and went to the hospital a doctor there said that they were dying for ANY english speaking doctors foreign or not. I am confident that I will do fine.

(Note: the above Mexican comment is not racial, the men I am speaking about are from Mexico.)

Us and Japan- very different 2008/1/12 16:04
The difference is that historically the US is a country of immigrants, whereas Japan emphatically isn't- quite the opposite in fact. Very few foreign born people ever become citizens, and some occupations are all but closed to foreigners.

How much time have you spent in Japan, out of interest?

If you are determined to try to qualify and work as a doctor here, by all means go for it. Please come back here and tell us how you got on.

. 2008/1/12 16:18
BTW tauma patients usualy are in too bad of shape to say much of anything,

Thats why I also mentioned you need to communicate with the other doctors, nurses, radiologists etc and paramedics/firefighters/public safety personnel that bring the patient in.

I mentioned the spanish doctors in my post because for them to get a license to practice they still needed to pass tests and be certified in english.

The same pretty much goes for other countries, if Russia, better know Russian, if Korea, better know Korean all fluently, plus medical terms.

It is possible to get a job in the US and speak another language because there is a high demand for it, especially a language like Spanish.

It is very much less in Japan.
To put it strait, 99 percent of Japan is Japanese. Of that 1 percent of foreigners, less then 1 percent of those foreigners are english speakers.

While there are some private doctors in Japan that are foreign, they cater towards foreign residences in Japan. I'm not sure what your uncle experienced, but I suggest you visit yourself and study the foreign situation in Japan a bit more indepth.

The question I would ask is why Japan? Why not back at home? You already have a heads up in the language.

. 2008/1/12 16:20
Back to the main topic, getting into a Japanese University with a GED not only requires Japanese language fluency, but you're going to need a lot more then a GED. Japanese Universities, as mentioned in the other post, are highly competitive to get into.

Thank-you 2008/1/12 16:32
I'm learning Japanese s language is not an issue, I'm no fool, I know that I will have to study hard and long for this. I do not plan on going to apply for any university without getting prereqs done out here and taking the Japanese Language Proficiency test. I believe you also asked why Japan? For me that is complex. Another thing to note is that when (not if) when I get accepted to a University by the time medical school is done (12-17 years) I will be long past being able to apply for citizenship.

... 2008/1/12 23:10
I remember hearing that time spent in Japan on a Student Visa doesn't count toward the required time for Permanent Residency or Naturalization. Anyone know anything about this?

Anyway Riku, just understand that Sira and John aren't trying to crush your dreams, but really are trying to help you understand the realities of your intended plan. Is what you want to do possible? Anything is possible given enough time and determination (and money help a lot too). Is it realistic? Depends on how much time and effort (and again money) you can put into it. Some things to think about: you can't legally work a lot (at least not enough to support yourself) on a student visa, and you must have proof of enough funds to support your studies and living expenses before entering Japan. If you're looking at doing all of college and medical school in Japan (12-17 years as you put if) you're going to need some serious cash as a startup.

Like the others before I suggest coming out to Japan, do some on the ground research, and then decide where to go from there. And good luck to you in whichever direction you decide to take.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

thank you yllwsmrf 2008/1/13 00:11
Well citenzship is the least of my worries but your right money will be factor and at least in my state there are many scholorships for people wanting to study abroad ANYWHERE, but your right it will be hard but for me at lest Japan is worth it. And as for living money, people on a student visa are alowed a 23 hour a week job as long as I had a roomate Im sure I could make it.(I have a 10 hour a week job right now and with a roomate I afford rent, utilities, and most food) granted I have to go my mom for help once in awile but...what college student doesnt?Anyway unless a professional or HIs Majesty THe EMperor himself tells me its absolutly impossible, then to me its worth it.-----------------------The Constitution prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, creed, gender, social status, or family origin, and the Government generally respects this.

Check out Debito's site 2008/1/13 07:36
Also have a look at www.debito.org- this is the website of an American who became a Japanese citizen.

He explains some of the issues foreigners can be face in Japan, especially if they are trying to do something different.

I'm afraid discrimination is alive and well and institutionalised in Japan, whatever the constitution might say.

I wish you luck!

Sira 2008/1/13 09:58
Ive been to Debito's site, his purpose is defending people like me, My main thing is there are 12,000 american foreigners in Japan I highly doubt that they all sleep under bridges there must be work for us

reply to this thread