Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Counting question. 2008/1/15 10:38
When counting in Japanese I've noticed that when it comes to the numbers 4 and 7 that different words are sometimes used.

4 = yon / shi
7 = nana / shichi

I was wondering when should you use "yon" instead of "shi" and "nana" instead of "shichi", and vice versa. Is there any rule when you should use one and not the other?
by EFG  

Counting 2008/1/15 11:11
EFG,

I'll let someone else answer your question, but in the meantime, try asking a Japanese native to count from 1 to 10. Now ask them to count backward from 10 to 1. Note which words they use for 4 and 7.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Wow 2008/1/15 19:36
I tried counting up, then down as Dave in Saitama suggested, and wow, yes, when counting up I say "shi," and when counting down I say "yon," without thinking. Wow!

This is so far what I found as explanation, at least for 4:

- Normally, when numbers are read out individually, for example, simply counting, or reading out phone numbers, postal code, street address or the year, etc., it is read as "yon." It may become "yo-," when followed by a counter. For example, "4 (people)" would be "yo-nin," and "4-year-old" would be "yon sai.

- Only when in idioms or fixed phrases, "shi" comes up.

When we read the numbers "counting up" from one through five, we do say: ichi, ni, san, shi, go..." This is explained saying that the speakers (native Japanese speakers) consider this 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 as one single phrase rather than individual numbers, and that is why we say "shi." However, when you count down, we do say "go, yon, san, ni, ichi." This can be attributed to us no longer thinking this a natural string of words that constitute a fixed phrase, thus we use "yon," as it is considered an individual number read out.

One of the numerous links that I referred to, for other Japanese readers who may be curious:
http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~aiida/gimon15.html
by AK (Japanese) rate this post as useful

i'm native 2008/1/15 21:26
you cannot be too seriouse about this. :)
Japanese people usually use "yon" (4) and "nana" (7).
number 4 = yon ban
4 years old = yon sai
7 colors = nana shoku

14 = juu-shi or juu-yon both are okay.
but "14 years old" is "juu-yon sai". native never call it "juu-shi sai".
aa it's really confusing, but we use "yon" and "nana".
sorry for my pity English..!
by haru rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/16 07:06
haru-san,
ためしに、1から10まで、10から1まで、声に出して数えてみてください。そのときに「よん」と「し」、「なな」と「しち」のどちらを自分が言っているか意識してみてください。
ある言葉を母国語として話している人はなかなか気がつかないことでも、難しいことはたくさんありますよ(^^)。

(In ENglish)
Haru-san,
Please try out counting up from 1 to 10, then down from 10 to 1, saying the numbers out loud. Keep in mind which of "yon" and "shi," and "nana" and "shichi" you are saying.
THere are many things learners of a language can find difficult, though native speakers might not even notice them :)
by AK (Japanese) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread