Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Teaching Jobs (Not English) 2008/1/15 19:25
Hey guys,

This question just popped in my head, and I don't think I've seen any question like this before (I can be wrong), but --

How are teaching jobs for gaijin in Japan like outside of english? For example maybe a science teacher, math teacher, maybe even PE or Gaijin Japanese teacher? If a gaijin versus native japanese were equally as capable of doing the said job, would getting the position be any more/less harder for the gaijin? Also out of curiostiy how does salary stack against each other for these positions? Any other related information will be nice too.
by sean  

. 2008/1/15 23:04
If you spoke fluent Japansese and you are already in Japan I don't see why not.

The thing is if you're outside Japan and wanted to be, for example, a science teacher, they would rather hire a Japanese person. Think of it this way: Why would a school/company go out of its way for the extra hassel to get you to come teach science in Japan if they can get someone who's already there. That's why most foreigners teach English, because English teachers is something Japan needs and has to "import". If you want to do a normal job in Japan yo need to have something extra or some special skill that sets you apart from a Japanese.

Best thing you could probably do is come to Japan as an English teacher, then while you're here look for another job.
by Thrall rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/16 05:25
There are many many threads dealing with this subject.

Assuming you read, write and speak Japanese fluently, and assuming you and a Japanese person had equal skills, the employer would most likely hire the Japanese person. Less hassle and paper work for them.
by John rate this post as useful

Teaching in Japan 2008/1/16 07:59
International schools are your best chance. Non-English teaching jobs for foreigners are extremely rare outside of international schools. I can't imagine any school here employing a non-Japanese teacher of Japanese language- why would they?

For public schools, teachers are considered public servants (komuin), and to be a komuin I believe you have to be a Japanese citizen.

As above there are several other threads you can check if you scroll down.
by Sira rate this post as useful

teaching jobs 2008/1/16 08:51
As Sira mentioned above, to be a regular public school teacher in Japan, you'll have to be a citizen. There are cases where a foreign teacher is employed directly by the school district, but these cases are rare (and becoming rarer thanks to the recent growth of dispatch companies). However, this is almost always for English teachers, although I have met some P.E. (soccer & baseball specialists) exceptions.

To work in an international school, you'll need a teaching certificate from your home country. Most international schools require experience teaching in your home country as well. These schools are exactly like the ones in the UK, US, Australia or Canada, but transplanted in Japan for the expatriate communities and Japanese seeking an international education.
by chan_konabe rate this post as useful

reply to this thread