Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo subway pass with unlimited rides? 2008/1/16 00:34
Hi, I will be visiting Tokyo for 3-day holiday, staying in Shinjuku area. Can anyone kindly advise whether there is any Whole Day Subway Ticket which will enable me to take any of the subway lines (Tokyo Metro/ Toei/ JR) unlimited so that I can explore different parts of Tokyo city, such as Tsukijishijo, Shibuya, Ueno etc? Thank you in advance for your kind advice.
by HAN  

... 2008/1/16 08:16
First off, Tokyo Metro and Toei are subway, but JR is not. The various day pass options are mentioned on the following page:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2017.html

But for a three day stay I would rather recommend getting a Suica prepaid card. For the average traveler, Suica (or single tickets) comes cheaper than day passes:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_002.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

How much to charge? 2008/1/16 10:03
Hi, Any rough idea how much money to put on the card for say a 4 night stay in Tokyo? 1st time visitor to the area doing the normal touristy type things out and about in the day and eating/drinking etc in the evening. Were based at the Park Hotel and do like walking around where practical. Im aware you can recharge at vending machines, but just an idea of how much to charge intially would be good. Thanks.
by Suica card rate this post as useful

above post 2008/1/16 10:04
Sorry, that was me that posted last.
by Steve rate this post as useful

Suica 2008/1/16 10:15
Steve,

A single short-distance subway trip will cost you around 160 yen or so, so that should give you some idea. It's a while since I've done it myself, but I think you can only charge the card in 1,000, 3,000, or 5,000 amounts. And while I think you can get the remaining balance refunded at the end of your stay, don't forget that you can use up you Suica by buying stuff at vending machines, convenience stores, and other places in and around stations.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Suica 2008/1/16 10:36
Thanks Dave, that gives me a good idea.

. 2008/1/16 10:47
If you are coming in via Narita Airport, then getting a SUICA & NEX package at Narita Airport might not be a bad idea. You get a Suica card preloaded with 1500yen.
by John rate this post as useful

Suica 2008/1/16 14:42
Thanks John, I think we will do that, one other question on the cards, can I purchase them for other people? There are 4 of us flying in from Aus and 2 coming in from the UK an hour or so later, Can I get all 6 in one go or does everyone need to be present?

. 2008/1/16 15:27
If you are buying the Suica & Nex combination each person needs to be present because it is sold once to each person holding a foreign passport.

If you just want to buy the Suica card by itself and not do a Suica & NEX package, then you can buy as many as you want. The card itself is sold at certain designated vending machines at the station.
by John rate this post as useful

ssuica 2008/1/16 15:42
Thanks John, much appreciated.

reply to this thread