Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to eat take away food? 2008/1/16 02:22
I love Family Mart, and on my last trip to Japan after a long days sightseeing I would call in there, pick up some hot food and a Coke, and take it to my hotel room. But some hotels dislike it when you bring food into your room. If so, where should I have my supper?
by Chris  

. 2008/1/16 09:06
I never had a hotel call me out when bringing back food and drink. Considering upscale hotels have room service where you can eat in your room, and business hotels sometimes have hot food vending machines.

I guess you might run into trouble at a Ryokan.

But if it is a regular private hotel room, I never had such a problem.
by John rate this post as useful

Food and Drink in Hotel Room 2008/1/16 10:25
I know that a lot of tourists buy outside food and drink to eat in their hotel room. This is normal and we do this on occasion. The larger department stores sell prepared foods in one of their basement levels. They have a great selection including musubi (rice balls), tempura, chicken, fish, pickled vegetables, sashimi, bento boxes, etc.

When you eat and drink in the room, don't make a mess and neatly put away your trash in a package and place it in the trash container or next to it. If you do this, I can't see why the hotel would have any objections. We've done this many times without any objection from the hotel.

Some Hotels don't like your eating in the hotel room? Did they express their objections to you or is this something you felt? If it's something you felt, don't let it bother you and feel free to bring outside food and drinks to your room. The hotels should not enforce this restriction unless it's noticeably posted saying you can't do this.
by Harold rate this post as useful

Food,, glorious food! 2008/1/16 15:15
many business hotels have an empty fridge(I SO MUCH PREFER THAT to the bar fridges in many places that charge you outrageous prices for basic drinks) which means, unless my brain works in reverse, that they expect you to use it for drinks and food that you bought. All the same my travel buddy and I usually carry our food in our small back pack or in a department store bag. As other people have said, as long as you don't mess up the room, put all the containers, leftovers etc. in a tied bag in the room garbage can (or dispose of it in a street garbage can the morning after) you should be fine. By the way we do that not just in Japan but in other countries too.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

Agreed 2008/1/16 20:48
Totally agree with the previous answers. I have had some wonderful take away meals from the department stores. Never had a problem going back to a hotel with it.....and a couple of beers. Will be back there doing it all again at the end of next week for a month.
by Rod rate this post as useful

reply to this thread