Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Need advise for moving to Japan! 2008/1/17 06:37
I've read a lot about being an English teacher is the easiest way to get a working visa and move to Japan, and I have a few questions/concerns.

1) I am currently a citizen of Taiwan, and I am currently studying in the US as a foreign student. Is there a restriction to become a teacher in Japan for me? Since there isn't a Japanese embassy in Taiwan.

2) I'll be done with my Master's degree in May for Mechanical Engineering and was wondering if there are other careers for me other than just an English teacher.

3) Are there universities or schools that look for foreigners to teach engineering related courses in English? If so, will my Master's degree be enough?

4) Since NOVA closed down, is the demand for English teacher still high? Will they hire me even if I don't have a degree in the field of teaching? What are my chances of getting sponsored?

Any help is definitely appreciated. Thanks in advance.
by JJ  

. 2008/1/17 07:42
Since you are currently in the US you can go to the Japanese Embassy or any of the Japanese Consulates in the US.

Even though there is no Japanese Embassy in Taiwan because of diplomatic status of the country, Japan has what is called an "Interchange Association office in Taipei" which is a "defacto embassy" in Taiwan. Which processes visas etc.

The US and many other countries have similar offices in Taiwan that are defacto embassies that issue visas etc, but do not call them embassies because of diplomatic relations.

NOVA did not close down. It went bankrupt, but is now back under brand new management. However many teachers were not rehired.

I still wouldn't work for them.

The thing is since you are not a native english speaker from a native english country, you have to demonstrate your english abilities. Of course I'm sure you can show additional documentation that you went to school in the US and did just fine. Of course any additional tests you can take to "prove" your fluency in English would be good to have in your resume. For example if you have a TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) that might be good.

As for the university level you might require more then just a Masters. These positions are very competitive.
by John rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/17 08:40
Wow John, thanks a lot for the response and you definitely seem very knowledgable in this topic.

For the Interchange Association office in Taipei, do I need to go there to be able to work as an English teacher in Japan? I definitely prefer on taking care of everything here in the US and then move to Japan directly. Is that possible? If so, how do I go about doing this?
by JJ rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/17 08:49
You need a job offer first and foremost. Your potential employer will get the paperwork ready for you, you fill it out etc and send it to them. They give it to Immigration, Immigration reviews and approves or disproves. If Immigration approves they issue a COE (Certificate of Eligibility) when you get your COE, you can pretty much show up at any Japanese Embassy/Consulate anywhere in the world to get the visa.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread