Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Trip to Hakone 2008/1/18 00:20
Hi,

Could not get a desired ryokan in Mt Fuji, hence planning for a day trip and maybe a night spent in Hakone.
1) How do I get to Hakone from Kansai with JR pass, if I am arriving in the morning?
2) How should I plan my 1 day in Hakone?
3) Should I spent a night in a ryokan in Hakone or a day trip will do?

Thks
by Jan  

... 2008/1/18 12:57
by JLady rate this post as useful

trick boxes... 2008/1/18 14:03
I visted Hakone last November. I found that the aquarium there is very sweet and you HAVE to check out the penguins. There is also a cable car that goes to the top of the mountains (Mounst Ashi?) with a beautiful view- a must-do. Also worth while is going on a Fuji Five lakes cruise. I organised this through a tourism company but I'm sure you could do it easily on your own.

Also, when you are at the aquarium, walk up the hill (away from the waterfront)about 7 0r 8 meters and go into the gift shop on your left. It was the best one I went into during my whole stay in Japan. Be sure to look also for the local specialty, the Hakone box, also known as a trick box. Each box is beautifully crafted and only opens when a series of moves are taken... ask the staff at the desk, they'll show you.

I only stopped through Hakone for a few hours and I would have liked to have gone to one of the onsen, but it all depends on how long you have in Japan- one day or overnight would be sufficient, or otherwise you could take a Mount Fuji/ Hkone region tour and you'll get the cream of the crop. (It's a long tour, and very interesting, but I wouln't take small children).
by R. rate this post as useful

reply to this thread