Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Osaka airport money exchange hours 2008/1/19 21:10
Hi,
Can anyone tell me what time does the money exchange booth opens till at the Osaka airport. On their website they only advise the bank closes at 6.00pm. They don't mention about the money exchange booths. Our flight arrives at 8.00pm. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
by Annie  

Money Exchange 2008/1/19 22:49
You might get a better rate by changing in your own country than changing money at an airport. Which country do you come from?
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/19 23:30
I assume you mean Osaka Kansai Airport instead of Osaka Itami Airport.

Though the bank maybe closed the currency exchange booths usually have longer hours.

Also if that doesn't work you can certainly pull out money using one of the ATMs.

http://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/en/service/money/index.html#...
Post Office ATMs and Citibank ATMs listed there work with international cards.

by John rate this post as useful

Osaka airport money exchange hours 2008/1/20 20:40
Yes, I mean Osaka International airport. We are from Australia. We could use the ATM but with Australian banks and cards we get charged a hefty fee when using our cards overseas and the exchange rate is not so good with it.
by Annie rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/20 22:56
I know you mean Kansai Airport coming in from Australia, but just a little semantics "just in case" because sometimes Maps very and depends on who you talk to for directions sometimes:

Kansai Airport - The International Airport that services Osaka with flights from all around the world.

Itami Airport- is now the current domestic airport that services Osaka, however because it used to be the international airport for Osaka, the official name for Itami is still "Osaka International Airport" but it is often called Itami now not to confuse.

Similar to how Haneda Airport's official name is still "Tokyo International Airport". Thouh it does handle small charter international flights.

Rate for GBP 2008/1/21 04:07
You might get a better rate by changing in your own country than changing money at an airport. Which country do you come from?

Can anyone please post the current exchange rate for the british pound out in Japan in an exchange booth.

From past experience I have always found that you get a better rate when you change your money in the country your visiting than here in the UK.
But I have read a few reports to the opposit for Japan.

When I checked the other day the offical rate was around 210 Yen to the £, but the tourist rate was only around 200yen to the £.
by marsatmach rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/21 04:59
The person said Australia.

From my experience with USD, its always better to exchange USD in Japan. You never get the "official" rate, only close to it or really bad exchange in the US.

GBP-Yen 2008/1/21 05:44
marsatmach, if you are in London, you will get the best rates there. Even if you changed your money at M&S, you would probably be doing better than at the Japanese Post Office (probably the best place to change cash in Japan). There are probably 2-3 good places in central London. One is across from the British Museum next to a comic store called Gosh. The second is on the Strand, a few doors from Stanley Gibbons, the stamp collectors shop (they also have a location near Victoria station). And a place in Bloomsbury at the corner of Woburn Place and Coram Street. If you need the full addresses, let me know.

London 2008/1/22 05:56
Nowhere near London thanks Rob.

I'll have a search of the banks and see what rates or deals I can get and change a bit before I go out.

I won't really worry about it, I'll just use my card when I am there.
by marsatmach rate this post as useful

M&S 2008/1/22 08:21
marsatmach, if you have a Marks & Spencer near you, see if they have a bureau de change. Unlike the banks, they don't charge commission or a handling fee, so their rates are usually very good.

Osaka airport money exchange hours 2008/1/22 21:49
Sorry, I'm arrive at Kansai International Airport.
I went to the Commonwealth Bank here is Sydney yesterday and they advised me the exchange rate from AUD to JPN is 90.75
I know echange rate goes up and down and recently the AUD has been weaker.
I'll probably exchange some limited amount for transport and check out the exchange rate at the airport. If not will have to go to the nearest post office. Does all the post office have foreign exchange or only at limited places?
by Annie rate this post as useful

reply to this thread