Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

My name in kanji 2008/1/20 19:35
I know there are many threads for people translating their name into kanji, and I did try looking but my question wasn't answered.

I am trying to translate my name into kanji, and have tried two methods without much luck.

I first tried translating it using the sounds juu ri a but only came up with the number 10 and 'practical'

So I'm trying to translate it by meaning instead but I can't find many kanji for my meanings (maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places?)

The meanings I've found for my name are:

Loves child
gentle
youthful
soft haired
downy haired
free.

I was just wondering if anyone knew any kanji for those meanings and a way to put them together.

Thank you in advance.
by Precious Pebble  

Name in Japanese 2008/1/20 20:23
Precious,

If your name is Julia, then it would normally be written as "ジューリア" (Ju-ria) in katakana. Trying to "translate" names or picking abstract kanji to match them will usually leave most Japanese scratching their heads or smirking.
The site below will charge you $10 to tell you that your name could be written as "慈勇理亜" (JiYuuRiA) using the characters for Merciful, Courage, Reason, and Asia, even going as far as offering the laughable "translation" of "Mercy, courage and reason meet in you, princess of Asia". If that kind of thing appeals to you and you don't mind being looked upon as a Karate Kid wannabe, then go for it!

http://www.japanese-name-translation.com/
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Love the translation 2008/1/20 20:36
Haha! I'd be tempted to get one from there just to have something that wacky... but I'm slightly weird :-P

Thank you for the katakana translation :)

Do you know any japanese words and/or kanji that mean winter or gentle?

From what you said maybe just a nickname would be better than actually trying to translate my name...I think I'll just stick to the katakana version if I need to write it Japanese any time.

Thank you again.
by Precious Pebble rate this post as useful

reply to this thread