Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bringing a pet to Japan? 2008/1/21 10:58
My husband,children and I may be going to Japan for 2 to 3 years later this year. We have a family pet that we do not want to leave behind. I have tried locating but have not found the laws regarding bringing our pup with us. What is the quarintine time? Is there a weight limit (he is a big boy) Any suggestions would be greatly apprechiated.
by MIO  

bringing pet into Japan 2008/1/21 20:34
Here is a website about bringing an animal into Japan:
http://www.maff-aqs.go.jp/english/index.htm
To avoid quarantine you need to really plan ahead.
There isn't a weight limit imposed by Japan (as far as I know) but you really have to make sure you have the right size crate and that you have communicated with the airlines.
A few years back I found myself and the airport with a dog in an extra-large crate, and it turned out the plane could not accommodate that size of crate (the cargo door was too small, apparently). I had to go the next day instead. So be sure to coordinate all that well ahead of time.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

Long term planning 2008/2/5 16:04
I recently brought my dog to Tokyo. If you plan everything ahead of time then you shouldn't have a problem.

Here's some general advice. Work closely with your vet to make sure all the vaccinations are done in a timely manner. Send all of the forms into the quarantine agency on time.

If you get the standard microchip used in the US, you can rent a microchip reader for for free (pay for shipping) to bring with you.

If you make sure to wait for the 180 day limit, the quarantine service can only hold the dog for up to 12 hours. We were with the officials at the airport for about 40 minutes total. They verified her microchip, and went over the paperwork thoroughly. My dog peed all over the floor, and then we left! (I helped to clean it up though.)
by Bob rate this post as useful

reply to this thread