Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Marriage in Japan and Visa Question 2008/1/21 18:03
Hi.
I am an American citizen currently living in Japan. I am in the processing of changing my visa to a work visa.
My fiance and I (she is a citizen of China) would like to get married in Japan, but her visa is only until the end of March.
If we get married, is it possible for her to get an extension on her student visa (or/while changing it to a spouse visa)?
If so, how long would this process take?
by James  

dependent visa 2008/1/21 20:51
As you are not Japanese, the visa your fiancee will need once you are married is called a dependent visa. A spouse visa is for people married to Japanese nationals.

As long as you apply for dependent status before her current permit expires she should be able to stay in Japan while her application is being processed.

Check the Japan Immigration website at www.mofa.go.jp for more info on visas and requirements.
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/21 22:00
It would be recommended to ask the immigration office, but as far as I know:
- Generally speaking one cannot extend a student visa only on the grounds of having gotten married; student visa can be extended only if she extends her studies.
- WHen you get your work visa, I believe she will be eligible for a "dependent" visa, which would allow her to "stay" in Japan with you as your dependent.
- As she can start applying for the dependent visa only upon your obtaining the work visa, I might say that part could take a bit of time. It might be better to consider possibly changing her status once to a temporary visitor's visa (I do not know what the requirements are for Chinese nationals, though), just be sure she applies while the current visa is valid.
- Also it would be recommended to look into what kind documents might be needed for an American national and a Chinese national to get married; contact the respective embassy for additional information.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread