Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Osaka Kyoto Tokyo one way- JR Pass? 2008/1/22 13:28
Hi, I am going to Japan for 7 days in April. We are flying into Osaka (2 nights), then off to Kyoto (3 nights) and out of Tokyo (2 nights), therefore not making a round trip. I am getting the idea from various sites and searching that the JR Pass may not be worth it unless its a round trip? Many thanks for any input....
by st5423  

JR Pass or not?? 2008/1/22 16:41
I checked the price of a trip Kansai airport to downtown Osaka by a relatively expensive train, then Osaka-Kyoto by a regular train and finally Kyoto-Tokyo by the fastest and most expensive shinkansen (the Nozomi) and this comes under 17 000 yen, including the reservation. of course I didn't include the daily passes for Osaka and Kyoto but they are not very expensive and there are cheaper options to all the short and long distance trips. All in all this comes to less than 2/3 of the price of a 7 days JR pass at the most.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

jr west pass 2008/1/22 19:28
Thank you so much for your speedy response! It is much appreciated. Would you suggest that I purchase the JR West pass if travelling around Osaka and then heading onto Kyoto?
by st5423 rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/23 03:00
The JR West Pass makes sense if you are traveling longer distances away from Osaka. Otherwise it is pretty cheap to travel via single fare tickets in the Osaka region and Kyoto regions especially if you do not use JR trains.
You can see all your options by reading the Japan-guide pages, including discount tickets between Tokyo and Osaka.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread