Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

US debit card to rent car in Japan? 2008/1/23 01:19
I'm coming to Japan for a month on business and I've booked rental cars at several locations. But my Visa is a debit card, not a full credit card. I have more than enough money in the linked account to cover the rental fees and then some.

In the US, it varies by location as to whether they will let you rent a car with a debit card, but I've usually been able to do it. Will they accept my debit card in Japan at the car rental counter?
by altjira  

... 2008/1/23 07:01
I don't know whether debit cards can be used for purchases, however, note that you can also pay in cash. A credit or debit card is not required.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/23 07:32
If you use it with a debit function (eg where you have to enter your PIN) then generally I don't think so.

However if you use it using the "credit function" eg many Debit cards with Visa/Mastercard linked on it can be used as "credit" but the money is debited from your account, then that works fine. Assuming the company takes credit cards.
by John rate this post as useful

Credit 2008/1/23 11:08
Like John said, if you use the "credit" feature of the card, you should be ok.
by Nikay rate this post as useful

reply to this thread