Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

can i resign from my job? 2008/1/24 00:01
this is my first time resigning, im in japan,osaka. Do i have the right to resign, can they deny me my resignation, i mean i tried to give my resignation but they rejected it, can they do that? ive just been in the company for two months, but i am having problems with the company, and i need to resign.. can you guys tell me what to do
by solution Seeker  

Legally you can resign any time. 2008/1/24 13:05
Of course they can't reject your resignation - you are free to do what you like. If you have a working visa then you don't lose your status, you can look for another job and start working on the same visa. If the company threatens that you will lose your visa, don't worry, that is not true.

They may withhold pay if you leave- you can take them to court over this but that will probably be more trouble than it is worth, so after giving them due warning that you will leave, just stop going in.

If you are working illegally then you will have more problems- they may threaten to call the police or Immigration authorities etc. If so then you have no choice but to leave Japan or you will be deported anyway.

Forcing someone to work at a company against their will is illegal and is close to human trafficking.

Don't listen to them, leave the job straight away if you don't want to stay.
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/24 13:26
I would be sure to check what the contract says - a month's notice, maybe? If that's what it says, I would try to stick with it, so that they cannot later claim that you just left without proper notice.

If you are having serious problems such as excessively long working hours/limited break time, or not getting paid, that's something that you could report to the authorities as well, if you wanted to. IF they sponsored you for your visa, of course they don't want you to leave... but if they are abusing you, that's good enough a reason for you to leave. But of course I don't know what kind of problems you are having with the company...
by AK rate this post as useful

Absolutely!! 2008/1/25 01:07
Unless you are an indentured servant, which I seriously doubt, you can resign from any company at any time. Granted, I don't work in Japan of for a Japanese company, but I am someone who has resigned many times. If you want, exercise professional courtesy by giving necessary notice. Sometimes it's 2 weeks, maybe a month. Once you have informed them of your intent to leave, your part is over. The fact that they choose to not accept it has nothing to do with you. That's actually pretty comical. I think of it like this - if they decide to fire you, do you have the option to not accept it and keep returning to the office? I think not. Even when resigning, I don't believe that 2-weeks notice is an absolute must. A company can inconvenience my life on a whim by firing me and having security excort me out of the building (never happened to me, but I've seen it done), but in the same breath, have the gall to want me to give them advanced notice as to when I'm leaving? Double standard that I don't believe in.

I personally believe that this is advice to heed of, even thouh many people will not agree with it. It's your life and it's important to be happy. If you account for preparation time, commuting, being in the office, commuting back home, you could be looking at a 10-13 hour day. That's a lot of time devoted to an aspect of your life that is unhappy.
by aurora rate this post as useful

reply to this thread