Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan in early to mid April 2008/1/24 17:29
Hi all. I think this is a fantastic site and have read lots of commentary with interest.

I will be travelling to Japan from 1 to about 20 April and would like to see some nice scenery (mountains, coast) as well as the cities.

I am wondering whether it is possible to hike/walk in Mt Fuji national park and Nikko National Park at that time of year? The weather or amount of snow would not be a problem?

I am also considering going to Shikoku and am more attracted to the south and east coasts. How easy is it to access the coastline, gorges and mountains without a car. (It is most likely that I will be using rail pass, unless there are better options.)

An alternative would be the north coast of Chugoku, eg Hagi - are there some nice places to visit and is it easy to get to places by rail or bus?

Also, is it possible to go walking in the countryside near Kanawaza and Takayama at this time of year?

Thank you!
by Jenny J  

... 2008/1/25 07:46
I am wondering whether it is possible to hike/walk in Mt Fuji national park and Nikko National Park at that time of year? The weather or amount of snow would not be a problem?

Yes, it is possible to hike in either national park. There is usually no more snow in the national parks unless you go into higher elevations.

I am also considering going to Shikoku and am more attracted to the south and east coasts. How easy is it to access the coastline, gorges and mountains without a car.

A lot of the countryside of Shikoku is not well served by public transportation. A rental car would give you considerably more flexibility:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2024.html

An alternative would be the north coast of Chugoku, eg Hagi - are there some nice places to visit and is it easy to get to places by rail or bus?

Hagi can be accessed relatively easily:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6155.html

Also, is it possible to go walking in the countryside near Kanawaza and Takayama at this time of year?

Yes, no problem. You can maybe already see cherry blossoms.
by Uji rate this post as useful

hmm 2008/1/25 13:14
You can walk around Mt. Fuji at that time as stated before. The weather won't be bad at all, maybe just a little chilly.

Hmm Shikoku, Ehime prefecture has a little bit to offer with Matsuyama being a good spot to visit. With places to hike up (such as a European style castle on a "hill") and also a very the gorgeous Shirai no taki waterfall. Without a car though, it might be difficult to get around to those areas. You could go to Kochi, a nice seaside area that can be accessed by bus or train.

Hagi - I would recommend it highly that area is very nice, a little remote and maybe difficult to get to everything on a train. I also know Mt. Kasayama is up there which has a VERY AMAZING sunset on a clear day (when you climb or drive up it). It also has a real neat ocean side drive (walking maybe not so much).

A little more on travel you could check out the website that I have referred many too
www.hyperdia.com (click on english to the left hand side). That website you can look at route and fairs to get from one place to another. Very useful.
by MarineUSMC rate this post as useful

reply to this thread