Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

10 week stay in Tokyo 2008/1/25 02:44
I'm going to Tokyo after school lets out (May) and I'll be there for 10 weeks.

I've got an apartment in Tokyo, and I just want to feel like I live there for awhile. Anyway, I like big cities, I've stayed in them all over the world. However, I do like the occasional breaks from buildings and flashing lights, so I was wondering...

Is it better to go to the beach in Chiba, or Kamakura? I'm looking to do some underwater filming, so, does one place have more clear water than the other, or less crowded beach?

Also, I'm assuming that I can find hardware stores in Tokyo. Can you confirm this? Also, I don't know what they carry - will i be able to purchase PVC pipes, and end caps for it? I can quickly build disposable underwater cases from PVC, so I'm hoping I can just make one htere, instead of having to pack one.

Thanks in advance!
by Blair  

Chiba 2008/1/25 08:43
Chiba beaches are nicer than Kamakura, and the water is clearer as the beaches on the outside of the Boso Peninsula in Chiba are further from Tokyo Bay.

The water at Yuigahama beach (Kamakura) and other nearby beaches (Enoshima, Kugenuma) can be very murky, partly because of the sand type and partly because of the proximity to Tokyo Bay.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Stuff 2008/1/25 09:01
Blair,

You should be able to find what you need in Tokyo, however the PVC may need to come from a pluming supplier rather than a standard Hardware shop as you may find in the States.

As for the diving...

You may want to look at arranging for a one week trip to Southern Japan like in the Ryukyu Islands.

Look at:
http://www.scubaspots.com/listings.php?Location=Japan

or

http://www.divejapan.com/

Enjoy and good diving.

Tenshi
by tenshi rate this post as useful

beaches 2008/1/25 14:30
Yes, Chiba is nicer that Kamakura. Although Kamakura is worth the visit. Now as for stores. I can't recall but look for a NAFCO in Tokyo.
by MarineUSMC rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/1/26 00:38
Hey guys, thanks for the info, and the links!

I was doing some looking, and I found some videos on YouTube of Niijima island. It looks like a good spot for nice, empty beaches, and it's not too long of a ferry ride from Tokyo.

Has anyone every been to Niijima?
by Blair rate this post as useful

Getting To Izu Islands 2008/7/28 13:56
I'm assuming there must be ferry service to Izu Islands (Izu Oshima, Toshima, Niijima, Shikinejima, etc) from Izu Peninsula...but I cannot find any information online! Can anyone help me out? Much appreciated!

My friends and I are planning to spend Saturday and Sunday on Izu Peninsula and hopefully one of the islands. Perhaps one day on the peninsula, and one day on an island. Any info on accomodations on the islands would be helpful as well....
by Izu Islands rate this post as useful

reply to this thread