Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kagoshima-ben 2008/1/27 01:49
Hi guys,

Since I'll be in Kagoshima as an exchange student for about a year, I'm looking for some infos bout the local dialect... All I could find is that it's usually described as really difficult and that many words are completely different to standard Japanese.
So I just wanted to ask how common this dialect is used? And though I suppose they'll try to speak standard Japanese to me as a gaijin, how difficult is it really to understand a bit Kagoshima-ben?

Thanks for any informations :)
by T  

... 2008/1/27 13:07
I do not know specifically about Kagoshima-ben, but normally the tendency with dialects is:

(1) the local people (unless they are very old) would speak the standard Japanese when talking not only to non-Japanese but also to non-Kagoshima people :). I do remember when I met up with my Fukuoka (northern Kyushu) friend, and while she was talking to me it was standard Japanese, but once we met up with her local friend, oh the conversation took on a completely different "melody," so to say"

(2) there might be some particular accent/pronunciation pattern you might notice, but you will get used to it after a while (for example, "ta" pronounced almost like "da," that type of habits in sound).

(3) of course there would be some vocabulary that are unique to that dialect, but as a learner if you look up something in your dictionary but do not find it, you can simply ask. This happens when I go to some remote parts of Japan and the hotel staff uses a word which I can only guess what it is... then I simply go ahead and ask :)

Enjoy your stay!
by AK (Japanese from Tokyo) rate this post as useful

I am from Kagoshima 2008/1/31 03:04
I am from kagoshima and lived there till I was 18. Mainly, the difference is intonation. If Konnichiwa has accent at top in regular Japanese, Kagoshima ben stresses the end. I think everything stresses the end part in Kagoshima ben. If you interact with old people,they use many different words for different things and I don't even understand some of the words my grandma uses. Usually, if you listen carefully, you can understand everything young ppl are saying. People are nice there and it's very safe. So, have a safe trip!!
by Ayako rate this post as useful

kagoshima-ben - my thoughts 2008/1/31 10:23
Coincidently my father, who is from Kagoshima, just recently was asked to act as a dialect coach for a Japanese actor working in a short film. My mother is from Tokyo so I don't often hear my dad speak Kagoshima-ben, and because they live in Los Angeles (where I was born), it's mainly standard Japanese I hear him speak. His Kagoshima-ben apparently is very good because he often talked to old people when he was a young child, so he remembers vocabulary that even his Kagoshima friends and family have forgotten.

I remember once, we led a tour of Japanese WWII survivors to Kyuushu, during our visit to Kagoshima I was hanging out with some of the local newspaper men covering our tour, and I decided to try out some of weirder Kagoshima-ben words that I knew from my dad, and they told me that was wrong. I got my father and they still wouldn't believe him, but then he asked one of the Japanese WWII veterans in our group, an 88 year-old man, born and raised in Kagoshima, and he verified what my father had said. It was pretty funny.

During another visit to Kagoshima, I met an American, former Ivy league educated stock broker, living in one of the coastal fishing islands off of Kagoshima, and he told me how weird he thought Kagoshima was initially. He said the comediens on Japanese TV, for comic effect, would use Kagoshima-ben but not that he had learned it, those TV shows weren't funny to him anymore.

As for the tone of Kagoshima, my dad sometimes if overhears a Korean conversation, sometimes for a split-second, he'll think it could be Kagoshima-ben.

I don't think you'll have to worry. I go to Kagoshima often, my standard Japanese is atrocious and everyone is super-nice to me. Sadly, I think a lot of the dialects across Japan are slowly dying out.

My dad was asked to give a speech to elementary school students in Kagoshima recently. He started out the speech in Kagoshima-ben, but a teacher quickly asked him to switch to standard Japanese. She told him that the young children may not understand him.

Here's an interesting fact. Kagoshima-ben was used as one of the methods in World War II to transmit secret messages. Like how the US used the Navajo American Indian language to communicate secretly during the war, Japan did the same with Kagoshima-ben. Unfortunately for the Japanese military, while there were no Navajo speaker in Japan, there were Kagoshima speakers in the US, so the US military would eventually learn how to ''crack'' the radio transmissions of the Japanese military.

by pigpen32 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread