Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese that have European features? 2008/1/28 10:55
I have a friend who is studying anothropology. He has told me that there is a very small community of native Japanese peoples who look more European than they do Asian. He stated that they were the "original" Japanese and that their culture has been around for centuries. Is this true?
by Michi  

. 2008/1/28 12:24
I think he might be talking about the Ainu people of Japan:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ainu_people
by John rate this post as useful

They 2008/1/28 12:37
came via Siberia to Japan in very ancient times, as one uni professor has told me
by Module rate this post as useful

Ainu 2008/1/28 13:04
I wouldn't say that the Ainu look more European than Asian though. They perhaps have slightly less Asian features and are thought to be more hairy than the majority Japanese. They still have black hair, dark eyes etc.

There has been a lot of intermarriage to the point where I don't think there are a lot of pure-blooded Ainu any more in any case.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Jomon-jin? 2008/1/28 20:37
The original question tells very little. I mean, "original" Japanese looking more European?
What's that supposed to mean? Maybe people in your country just has the illusion that the Japanese look "Asian" then they are, lol.

But my wild guess is the Jomon people, who sort of have Latin type faces. They are thought to be the first people who live on this land, and the faces of Yayoi people who are thought to have come later from the Korean Peninsula are more flat with thinner eye brows.

But there still are plenty of Jomon-looking Japanese people today.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Euro what??? 2008/1/29 05:35
not to mention that there is no such a thing as one typical set of European features! Europe is pretty big place! there are big variations in skin, eyes, hair colours, in the shape of the face, the body height, shape etc. I am talking about European whose families--like mine- can trace their ancestry in one given region to at least 500-1000 years.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

reply to this thread