Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Driving conviction - do you need a visa? 2008/1/29 01:57
If you were going to Japan on a sightseeing holiday and had a drink driving conviction where you had been banned for a short period of time, would you need to apply for a visa to enter Japan? Many thanks for your responses in advance.
by WallaceN  

... 2008/1/29 10:16
Whether you require a visa or not depends on your citizenship. Driving convictions have no impact on whether you require a visa or not. Here is a list of countries, whose citizens do not need a visa:
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/02.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/29 10:16
If you were going to Japan on a sightseeing holiday and had a drink driving conviction where you had been banned for a short period of time, would you need to apply for a visa to enter Japan? Many thanks for your responses in advance.

I'm very confused about your question.
Banned from what? Driving?

What is your nationality?
by John rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/29 18:13
Apologies for not wording it better - I'm a UK national, and the ban was for driving for 9 months. There was no prison sentance, and there was a £100 fine. I've been doing some research and this may or may not fall under the Denial of Landing conditions - but I'm not sure! Many thanks for your help.
by WallaceN rate this post as useful

dunno if this helps 2008/1/29 19:54
But i got a driving conviction in Australia, lost my licence for 6 months, paid a $1,500AU fine.. in 2005, went to japan in 2006 and had no problems.. and to be honest i didnt even think about it..

not sure what the law is there, but here a driving offence is not a criminal conviction
by Wes rate this post as useful

nothing to worry about 2008/1/29 20:54
Only convictions for drug-related offences, violent crime or prior deportation would affect your entry into Japan and that would result in being banned from entering, not having to get a visa.

Japan Immigration does not care about your driving offence. You can come in on a tourist permit, just like everyone else.
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/29 21:11
Thanks for your help, I was obviously a little apprehensive (to say the least) as a trip to Japan is the journey of a lifetime and I'm hugely looking forward to visiting such an interesting country and culture. Thanks again.
by WallaceN rate this post as useful

reply to this thread