Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hanuda 2008/1/30 05:02

I'm going to travel to japan soon for vacations and i was hoping to visit a ghost town i've read about, but I need some help finding it first. It's supposed to be called Hanuda or Hanyuda, and the story says the villagers disappeared mysteriously in 1976 during an earthquake and no bodies were found, the incident became a sort of urban legend and even inspired a videogame called forbidden siren.

so far i've got:

-the village is supposed to be next to route 333 ( which is in the north, in Hokkaido) passing a river.
-it's surrounded by forests and mountains, and very isolated
-it's supposed to be in "misumi county" could be miss-spelled
-earthquakes are extremely rare in the area, could be the village is not in a sysmic region at all, which is why the earthquake was unexpected (i've searched around and a earthquake did happen in 1976 in japan)
-nearby people are supposed to be very xenophobic and traditional, and worship local deites. this fits the description of northern japan; people in the region have a more conservative approach to religion, they have different cults and traditions from mainland japan, etc
by LittleMel  

. 2008/1/30 09:53
Seems to be a myth of sorts:
http://www.shibito.com/e/p_2_hp.html
That guy seemed to do an unscientific investigation into it.

From his research the town was already abandoned, the town didn't mysteriously dissapear with everyone in it.
Alot of other misinformation out there because of the video game as well.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread