Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo in 5 days 2008/1/31 20:37
Could you please help me with my itinerary.
1.land in Narita at 8:30 am, start exploring at 3:00 pm ODAIBA, TOKYO TOWER AND ROPONNGI
2.UENO, ASAKUSA, GINZA
3.SHIBUYA, HARAJUKU, MEIJI JINGU, SHINJUKU
4. KAMAKURA
5. NIKKO (go alone or in guided group?)
Please give me advice is it better to use subway or lokal train through Tokyio.

Kind regards,
Asia

by Asia  

... 2008/2/1 08:13
I recommend to visit the sights flexibly according to weather and mood. But check out closing days for applicable sights. And during travel seasons, avoid visiting Nikko on a weekend.

Please give me advice is it better to use subway or lokal train through Tokyio.

There is no difference. Just use the train that is most convenient for a specific trip. I recommend to use a prepaid card:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_002.html

And a free pass for Nikko:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_002.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

A little busy. 2008/2/1 18:06
If you are a first time visitor to Tokyo, keep in mind that it is a very large metropolis and challenging to get around even for Japanese residents. Chances are, you will have to make a few sacrifices with your itinerary. A few general suggestions:

1. I haven't run across anyone who found Odaiba interesting--or in other words, there is a very good chance you won't find it worth the trouble. Roponngi isn't my favorite area, but many visitors enjoy it. Skip Odaiba and spend more time in Roponngi.

2. You could potentially skip Asakusa if you are absolutely going to Kamakura or Nikko.

3. Shinjuku is probably the least interesting for foreign tourists, unless you have very particular interests there.

4 & 5. If you want to experience more in the way of Japanese culture, either Kamakura or Nikko is a must. Tokyo is an overly developed business center and not as interesting in this respect. Plan an entire day for either. If you had to choose one, Kamakura is easier to get to and probably has more to offer for the average visitor. Yet, Nikko offers very unique architecture and is a World Heritage Site. Nikko will give you a glimpse of the Japanese countryside beyond the sprawling, heavily populated Kanto (Tokyo area) plain. Nikko is easy to travel alone. Free tourist maps are offered at the station, and people will be much more friendly and willing to offer assistance.

Make every effort to get off the main streets and away from the stations in Tokyo--these can be some of Tokyo's most interesting areas. Or try a less touristed area in Meguro or Setagaya even... Finally, Tokyo is just one area, and in many respects quite different from the rest of Japan. If you don't like it, try another place.

by zoogy rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/1 19:30
I haven't run across anyone who found Odaiba interesting

At least online you have now run into the first person who loves Odaiba. Especially if you like shopping and entertainment, Odaiba can keep you busy for a whole day. In addition to shopping and entertainment, there are also some interesting museums and one of Tokyo's best hot springs.

The same is true for Shinjuku: it is a heavenly place for shopping, entertainment, dining and a taste of Tokyo at its most colorful, busiest and noisiest.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Odaiba and Shinjuku 2008/2/1 20:32
Uji

I agree that Odaiba and Shinjuku have their merits. But for the first time foreign visitor, these areas might not have the same appeal. With limited travel time, some areas might have to be skipped. And some areas are a bit redundant. There is enough to do in Roponggi for new visitors, that the trip to Odaiba might not be worth the while. Shinjuku is one of my favorite areas in Tokyo, but most tourists with limited travel time will find the nightlife of other areas of Tokyo, equally appealing. Odaiba will have a lot of appeal for Tokyo residents, but many foreigners, particularly North Americans or other asians, can find extremely similar, modern shopping areas like Odaiba in larger cities in their home countries.

day 1 2008/2/1 21:00
Might be busy and you might be jet lagged but you can do this in a whole day...
1 Shinjuku in the morning
2 Tokyo tower
3 Odiaba for a sea side view of tokyo and see the sun set
4 off to Roppongi at night

You can also swap 2 & 3 depending if you want to see the view from Tokyo tower at night or day (though I would do it in the order I stated)....you can also have a nice view of Tokyo from the ferris wheel and Fuji TV center..honestly I wouldn't miss the sunset in Odiaba...it made my whole trip there worth it.
by MarineUSMC rate this post as useful

Thank you for informations 2008/2/1 23:28
I will be in Japan 12 days. 5 days in Tokyo, and then the rest in Nagoya (where my sister lives).I dont wanna waste my time in hostel (jet leg), so could you please help me whit advice where to go first day, exploring start at 3 PM. I am more interested in art, architecture, temples, people and food, than shopping and entertainment.

Thank you in advance
by Asia rate this post as useful

Tokyo 2008/2/7 18:46
I you are primarily interested in arts, culture, cuisine, etc. I would focus more on the Kansai area (Kyoto, Osaka) rather than Tokyo, which is primarily a business center and mostly valued for nightlife and shopping.

If you are definitely going to be in the Tokyo area, spend a couple of days in Kamakura. You might also prefer the more creative neighborhood of "Shimokitazawa", Tokyo's answer to Greenwich Village in New York.

Good call on Day 3 2008/2/9 20:09
Day 3 is going to be fun. I'd say get in Shibuya for early morning rush hour and expirience the rush. Personally I enjoyed the insane amount of people as sight seeing itself.

Harajuku and Meiji Park are a great way to spend an afternoon. Go shopping and walk in the park!

Shinjuku at night is the best way to get some awesome food and marvel at the masses and the lights!
by DRJ rate this post as useful

Tokyo Government Building 2008/2/9 20:12
Check out the Government Building in Shinjuku. Its an insnane Tower in Shinjuku you can ride for free up to 60 floors and take pictures of Tokyo. Free fun!
by drj rate this post as useful

Shinjuku at night 2008/2/9 21:00
Would it be safe for a single female travelling alone (who doesn't speak much Japanese) to visit Shinjuku during the late evening hours?
by Palidor rate this post as useful

Tokyo 2008/2/10 05:39
Zoogy,
I live in North America and we sure don't have anything like Odaiba.Artificial islands with futuristic buildings aren't a dime a dozen in North America.. I wouldn't spend my whole life there but it is very interesting. dito with Shinjuku. Lots of first time travellers to Tokyo, on this blog, do plan to go to Shinjuku.They may not be familiar with how to find this or that place but have done research on the web, have seen movies featuring Shinjuku etc.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

3.00 pm? 2008/2/10 06:21
Just wondering why you are starting at 3.00 pm if your flight is landing at 8.30 am? I would estimate that you should be starting at around noon.
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

reply to this thread