Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Yoshino or Takamaya better 2008/2/2 18:15
Hi,

I will be in kyoto between 29 March to 2 April.

Plan 1:
I plan to spend a day trip to Yoshino on 31 March (is it the right timing for cherry blossom)
and Shirakawa-go on 1st April.

Plan 2:
Another plan is 31 March to Shirakawa-go and overnight there. Any place to recommend?
Next morning to takamaya and spend the afternoon there. Evening go back to kyoto.

Which is more worth it? Pls advice.

Thanks alot
by strawberry  

... 2008/2/3 07:34
I plan to spend a day trip to Yoshino on 31 March (is it the right timing for cherry blossom)

It is likely to be too early for cherry blossoms in Yoshino.

and Shirakawa-go on 1st April.

A day trip from Kyoto to Shirakawago is not feasible unless you rent a car. Even then, you would be spending 8 hours getting there and back.

Another plan is 31 March to Shirakawa-go and overnight there. Any place to recommend?
Next morning to takamaya and spend the afternoon there. Evening go back to kyoto.

It still involves lots of travel compared to time to actually sightsee, but it sounds more feasible. Due to bus connections to Shirakawago, I recommend, however, to do the journey the other way around:
Kyoto - (by train via Nagoya) - Takayama - (bus) - Shirakawago - (bus and train via Kanazawa) - Kyoto
by Uji rate this post as useful

.. 2008/2/3 12:24
I was in Yoshino on April 5th last year and it was way too early for the cherry blossoms. Just for the reference, the peak cherry blossom timing was about a week earlier than average last year.

Don't go to Yoshino. You'll waste time, money and effort.
by tokyonet rate this post as useful

Yoshino . . . 2008/2/4 08:32
. . . actually has a large window of opportunity for viewing sakura due to the different elevations. Trees are planted down low and up on the slopes.

Obviously, when their Sakura Matsuri is in progress is a good time (Around April 11 or 19, I don't recall). I went at that time but the upper trees weren't blooming. So if you go late, at least you can see those.

Yoshino can be reached in an easy day trip from Osaka. Book train tickets early. My mistake is I thought I needed a full day there. Four hours was enough. Since trains were fully booked, I couldn't change tickets and had to sit around 3 hours waiting to leave.
by Clevor rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/4 10:46
Still, 31 March is likely not to fall into that window, unless it will be a very early blooming year, which I doubt judging from the fact that this winter has been a very average winter in terms of temperatures so far. Then again, a very warm or very cold February and March could still change the situation quite drastically.

thanks... 2008/2/6 15:21
Hi,

I think i will most likely goin to Shirakawago and Takayama instead of Yoshino.

But would like to spend a night in Shirakawago. Any idea on the accomodation?

How to make reservation in advance for the accomodation as well as the bus?

Anyone can help me my doubt?
Many thanks in advance
by strawberry rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/6 17:37
Any idea on the accomodation?

See here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+35806

The bus can be reserved by phone: 0577-32-1688

Boarding point 2008/2/8 11:44
Thks Uji for your information.

I have another doubt, where is the boarding point at kanazawa? Near the JR station?

... 2008/2/8 12:05
Yes, just at JR Kanazawa Station.

... 2008/2/12 18:11
Thanks Uji.

I will be in kyoto for 1 day. I will reach kyoto city around 10am. Below are the places i'm interested in going:

1) Path of Philosophy
2) Heian Shrine
3) Maruyama Park
4) Sannenzaka Slope
5) Kiyomizu-dera temple
6) Gion
7) Nijo Castle
8) Kinkaku-ji Temple
9) Ponto-cho

Is it possible to cover it in a day?

Any nice places for dining?

Thanks for your time in advance

... 2008/2/12 19:37
If you drop Nijojo or Kinkakuji, it is possible. Otherwise, it would be too busy. Even if you drop Nijojo or Kinkakuji, it will be a busy day.

Any nice places for dining?

Pontocho or Gion are the best places for a nice dinner. Pontocho has little to offer besides dining.

Thanks 2008/2/13 11:17
Hi Uji, thanks for the info. Think i will drop both, just concentrate on the other.

I'm going there for cherry blossom, hope able to catch it. What is your view?

... 2008/2/15 16:14
29 March to 2 April is somewhat early to see cherry blossoms in the average year. And judging from the weather this winter so far, I get the feeling that it could become an average year. But it is to early for (somewhat) accurate forecasts.

?? 2008/2/15 18:21
Thanks Uji for the info.

Hope I have the luck to see it when i'm there.

Btw, i will be going to Shirakawago on 31 March. I have read the forum saying that there will still be snow. I'm only going to the village, will I get to see snow also?

... 2008/2/16 08:52
Yes, in the average year, there is still 40 cm of snow on the grounds in Shirakawago on March 31. In some years, it can be more, while in other years, most of the snow might have gone already.

Thanks alot 2008/2/17 23:58
Dear Uji,

Thanks alot for your information and advice.

reply to this thread