Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Are curfews common? 2008/2/3 02:40
I am currently figuring out the details for studying at Sophia University in Tokyo for a semester. The homestay option is what I was originally most interested in, but I have been warned that I may be subject to a curfew. Is this common? I was quite surprised to see that one of the dorms even had a midnight curfew.
by bgalfond  

. 2008/2/3 07:55
Well you have to think of it from a practical matter.

If it is a homestay you'll be staying with a Japanese family, obviously I'm sure they wouldn't want you out and about late at night or early morning, because it can disturb them as well, they need to rest, work etc as well.

Imagine if you were a host parent, would you want someone who was a guest at your place rummaging around into the house at 2-3am while you're trying to sleep?

As for dorm it probably depends on the dorm, eg it could be for security, eg they close the entrance at a certain time etc.

If you went with your own accommodation or another accommodation that doesn't have curfew then you should be fine. However it also depends on your age too.
by John rate this post as useful

"midnight" isn't enough?? 2008/2/3 13:32
I agree with John. Also a host family's job is to make sure you can focus on your main purpose which is to study, and coming home late doesn't really help.

Besides public transportation stops running around midnight, and since Tokyo relies greatly on public transportation, it will be quite difficult to go home after your last train, especially for students who are not supposed to have enough money for frequent cab rides.

Btw, although it is not uncommon for college students to stay out all night (it is even common for universities to hold all-night festivals in autumn), sons and daughters who often come home late will not look too good to the neighborhood.
by Uco rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/3 23:50
I certainly mean no disrespect or to disturb my host family. I am more concerned about once in a while going out with friends, and perhaps during a school break taking an overnight trip to somewhere like the Kansai region. These would be very rare occasions though, probably only going out once every few weeks.

Perhaps my problem is perspective, where I am now in Miami, parties and the nightlife don't usually get started until around 11 or so, at least in my experience. That keeps me from having a serious night out more than a handful of times a year. Perhaps in Japan things are different?

I did not know about the public transportation shut down though, that may limit some of my plans regardless of a curfew. Thank you for the replies!
by bgalfond rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/4 05:15
If it is a one and a while thing I don't think the host parents will have a problem if you talk to them, just like parents any where else in the world.

Also depends on your age too, if you are 18-19 vs 20++ (which is the age of Majority in Japan).

age 2008/2/4 06:37
I am now 21, will be 22 when I am there. This makes a difference?

Thank you for your help!

. 2008/2/4 06:41
Again depends on the family, talk to the family if you do a homestay, though homestays for adults is more rare then it is for high school or younger students. I would go for a dormitory.

... 2008/2/4 07:25
Traveling overnight, no problem - I believe dormitories ask you to submit your plans in advance, and you can talk to your host families about your plans.

If you plan on staying out late, then I think it's better you stay out all night long - either get a hotel room, or find a bar/club that lets you stay till the first train in the morning. Definitely you would not want to be coming home at 3, let's say, and disturbing your host family's sleep :)

When I was in university, right up until graduation (I still lived with my parents then) I had a curfew of 22:00, which later got relaxed to 23:00. Considering that we lived about one hour outside Tokyo, night life was not part of my university life lol. Just an example of one former student...
by ... rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/4 16:21
Bgalfond, you seem to be getting a better picture now.

As mentioned, if it's a rare occation, you tell your accomodation in advance and you stay out. I mean, 5 year old kids stay over at friends' homes. Why not you.

Like I said however, it's not that worth trying to get home by 2am, so most students tell their folks that they will stay at a friends home if they know they're going to miss the last train, rather than to come knocking waking up the dogs at two.

Being 20 years old and over makes a great difference. Your guardians have no lawful responsibility for you, so they tend to let you do as you like (although they may worry as a human). If you're under 20, the police can force you to go home after midnight, but if you're older you are free.

But still, the time of your last train and party time is the same for all people here in Japan. Party time here is much earlier. It is even against the law for dance clubs to be open after midnight (so a lot of them register as "bars"). Parties usually start during 5-7pm, will serve you not only drinks but supper as well, and the room will be only available for a couple of hours. Then only those who wish will go to another bar and then another until your last train. But still, not many students have the time and money to go partying every week. Btw, all-night rock festivals and all-night school festivals are usually a "twice or three times a year" event for students.

So while a lot of daughters have curfews as strict as 10pm, midnight isn't too bad at all. You can still do a lot. In other words, you can't do much even if the curfew is later.
by Uco rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/5 03:56
Thank you for all of your responses, you have turned my concern into anticipation now!

reply to this thread