Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Fish/Seafood Cannot be Eaten Raw 2008/2/4 16:24
Japan may be the foremost country in consuming raw fish/seafood in the world.
I am curious if there is any types of fish/seafood that are not safe for raw consumption with the exception of the puffy fish. I also understand that most freshwater fishes are not preferred to be eaten raw due to the high risk of parasitic contamination.
Is there any laws in Japan prohibiting selling of those fishes/seafoods?
Thanks!
by tju  

puffy fish eaten raw 2008/2/5 08:16
The "puffy fish" (fugu in Japanese, sometimes called blowfish in English) is actually usually eaten raw, as very thinly-sliced sashimi.
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/5 11:52
As fish-loving people, I think we eat almost all creatures in the water! But we don't eat fish with a bad smell (mostly fresh-water fish), lots of small bones or excessively chewy raw.

Even eels are eaten raw in some area.
by JLady rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/5 12:47
Fugu is often eaten as fuguchiri, cooked in a pot, a very popular fare in winter.
by Tokyonet rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/5 20:39
Can most clams or pipis be eaten raw in Japan? Or other shellfish?

I know some like akagai, hotate, hokki gai and oysters and some other ones I cannot recall can be eaten raw.

I'm a bit worried about Hepatitis and gastroenteritis related problems but at the same time I've tried some shellfish varieties raw which are rather sweet. It worried me enough not to gamble eating them again, however.
by Blanc rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/6 08:00
AFAIK, fishes like Hake, Sole or Sea bass cannot be eaten raw.
by aerond rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/7 12:17
Thank you all for your replies!
by tju rate this post as useful

reply to this thread