Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What can I expect being 6'8" (203cms)? 2008/2/5 15:55

Hello, I am a student that is set to graduate this semester. I have given a lot of thought to teaching English in Japan, but I have one question... I am 6'8" (203cms) tall and I am wondering to what extent will I stand out.

I mean, I realize that many things will not be big enough for me... I have that problem here too! I am more concerned with how the people will think of me.

I ask because I have lived in a very small rural area my entire life. I just want to know what to expect if I'm in a crowded area or if my chances to befriend people will be less because of it.

Sorry, its a silly question, but I am very curious.
by TallGuyAdam  

... 2008/2/5 19:22
Hi
My brother lives in Japan, and has been teaching English there for the past two years.
He is 6'6" and hasn't had any problems at all, he has even been able to find clothes that fit him.
He does get a few looks, mostly from the girls :-)
I wouldn't worry about this, go and teach there you'll love it.
by Kittywheaty rate this post as useful

being tall 2008/2/5 22:59
you wil find that some buildings and even some areas of the subway have very low ceilings. you will have to duck a lot. surprisingly you shouldn't have too many problems with clothes as there are a few specialty shops. other than that, as long as you stand at the back at concerts etc, you will have a great time. get used to hearing the word "ookii" which simply means big.
by joseph rate this post as useful

tall people 2008/2/6 08:15
As Joseph says, expect comments. They will mostly be friendly, admiring ones though. I imagine you get similar comments in your home country! You will be ducking a lot, especially in older Japanese homes. I'm 5'9 (female) and barely clear the door frame in homes built before about 1980 and in older trains.

The tallest guy I have met in Japan was 7'0 (210cm) and thin as a rake. He said he got a lot of comments in Japan, but that he did in Australia as well.

Height is considered a positive attribute in Japan as in many other countries, so don't worry about it, just enjoy your stay.
by Sira rate this post as useful

tall boyz r hawt 2008/2/7 01:09
haha sorry for the strange title.

But in Japan, tall guys are considered handsome. You are pretty tall, but I knew a German guy who was about your height... lots of my Japanese friends said he was "kakkoii" (good looking) and I think a lot of that had to do with his height. Plus he's a foreigner!! How exotic!
by Miyuki rate this post as useful

reply to this thread