Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kanji for "Girl Scouts"? 2008/2/5 17:34
My daughter's Girl Scout troop is learning about Japan for International Day. I found the thread about how to write "Girl Scouts" in Japanese, but I would also like to know if there is a Kanji for it as well. Thank you for any help that you can offer!
by Tricia  

Girl Scouts 2008/2/5 19:33
Tricia,

No, it is always written in katakana.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Thank you, Dave! 2008/2/5 19:39
I thought that might be the case, since I had read that katakana is used for foreign words.
Thank you for your quick response!
by Tricia rate this post as useful

troop 団 2008/2/6 10:29
As mentioned, "Girl Scout" is written in katakana, but your troop name can often have kanji combined in it, because "Troop" in kanji is 団

For example, "Girl Scout Tokyo Troop One" is written like this;

ガールスカウト
東京1団

By the way, I'm sure they always apply kanji when writing "Girl Scout" in Chinese language, but your daughter is studying about Japan which is a different story.
by Uco rate this post as useful

And now another question. . . 2008/2/23 16:14
Thank you, Uco! We can do that for our troop banner at the booth.

I am now trying to make a stencil of the Girl Scouts of Japan trefoil so that we can paint it on t-shirts for the girls to wear that day. According to their website, the characters at the bottom are the motto (Be prepared).
I have looked a hiragana chart and I think I have identified all of the characters except the first, so I think it says
____ na e yo tsu ne ni

An online dictionary translated "tsuneni" as
"always" and that seems to make sense in this context, so I think I have that part right.

But I have looked at the chart several times now and still do not see the first character, so I have no idea what the first word is.

If someone could point me in the right direction, I would again appreciate it!

Be prepared 2008/2/23 16:47
Tricia,

It is "Sonae yo tsuneni" (the spaces here are abitrary, as they are not used in Japanese), literally "Be prepared always".
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Thank you (again!) Dave! 2008/2/23 18:53
I looked at the hiragana chart again, and I would never have guessed that that was the "so" character. Does it just look different in different fonts or something?
Not knowing any vocabulary is a rather severe hindrance. Thanks again for helping me muddle through this for the troop.

They will be teaching the younger girls who visit our booth some simple origami, a game (jan ken pon) and a color matching activity. They are also making posters with information about Japanese Girl Scout badges and uniforms, the language (we have even been given a copy of a Japanese language newspaper to show them!). I have also found photos with examples of ikebana, bonsai, noh masks and taiko drummers for a poster about the arts, and some photos of people in the traditional kimono.

I am getting excited about this and my daughter sounds as though she is getting more interested, too.

Any suggestions for other items to research?

Thanks once again,

Tricia

How do you write Girl Scouts in Japanes? 2009/3/19 21:13
How do you write Girl Scouts in Japanes?
by Melissa (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/3/19 22:00
Girl scout is written in katakana:

ガールスカウト
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread