Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 3: Posts 1 - 20 of 48

1 2 3
next

Buying farm land in Japan 2008/2/7 01:38
I was wondering if anyone has any links they know of in which I can find some farm land for sale in Japan.

And, I know that buying land in Japan will not permit you a visa, will farming allow me one?

Thank you :)
by Mr. Matt guy  

Buying property in Japan 2008/2/7 08:26
Generally it is very difficult for non-Japanese who are not permanent residents to buy property in Japan- there is quite a long thread on this if you scroll down a bit.

And no, farming does not entitle you to a visa in Japan unless you run it is a business, employ at least 2 Japanese nationals and fulfill various other criteria.

Check the Japanese Immigration site www.mofa.go.jp for information on types of visas available.
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/7 08:32
Generally it is very difficult for non-Japanese who are not permanent residents to buy property in Japan-

... unless you pay in cash. Then it is relatively easy. Here is the other thread:
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+44999
by Uji rate this post as useful

That's right 2008/2/7 08:39
That's true. More accurately, it's near impossible for a non permanent resident to get a mortgage here, and if you have cash then that doesn't apply of course.

Trying to run a farm in Japan without a lot of knowledge of the culture or the language would bring a whole lot of challenges though, and as I mentioned above there is the visa issue.

inaka-gurashi 2008/2/7 09:38
I don't know how much "farming" you have in mind, but generally speaking, it seems even difficult for the locals.

In recent years "inaka-gurashi (countryside life)" is getting popular, and people seek farmland so that they can get away from the stressful city life.

But in order to maintain a farm, even a small one just for yourselves, you not only have to work every day in both hot weather and cold, but you have to do well in the conservative neighborhood. People who have moved to farmland say that it took years until they gained trust from the locals or until they got used to the life.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Sounds good 2008/2/7 09:56
Well, I have a lot of knowledge on japanese culture, and I don't have all the language down yet but by the time I have enough money to, I should.

Out of Curiosity, where would I find out how much a small parcel of land would cost me?
by Matt rate this post as useful

farming 2008/2/7 12:59
I think that when Sira mentioned that it would be hard to run a farm without a knowledge of the culture she meant (My apologies Sira if I am wrong) the culture as in "farming techniques". Of course knowing Japanese culture (lifestyle, history, language) is important to relate to people, but to make a living you have to know how to grow crops. I had relatives that were farmers-in Europe-- and their farming knowledge included such esoteric things as knowing the right day to plant, feed, harvest etc. based on the moon cycles,the future local climatic conditions as predicted by the behaviour of insects, animals, flowers and trees, amongst many things. In addition, whatever the crop is, if you and everyone else in the area have lots, it will sell for nothing. The next year the crop will be pitiful so no income, etc. Being a farmer is a hard unrewarding job yet of course it is essential. The reason so many people around the world leave small farming communities and move to a town is that it is so hard to make a living from the land. My farm relatives eventually sold their land for a high price but by that time they were in their 80s, had never had a holiday etc. When other relatives retired to the same town as their in-laws, because they were from another region they weren't welcomed for years. this is a common attitude in many small places around the world. It is quite a long and hard way to go just to buy a piece of land!!!
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/7 13:07
Farming the farm doesn't get you a visa. If you start that farm into a business that fits Immigration criteria might get you a business manager/investor visa:
---------------------
1. In cases where the applicant is to commence the operation of international trade or other business, the following conditions are to be fulfilled.
1. The facilities to be used as an office for the business concerned are located in Japan.
2. The business concerned is maintained in such a scale as to employ at least 2 full-time employees in Japan (excluding foreign nationals residing under the status of residence enlisted in Annexed Table 1 of the Immigration Control Act), in addition to those who operate and/or manage the business.
2. In cases where the applicant is to invest in international trade or other business and to operate or manage that business, or in cases where the applicant is to operate or manage international trade or other business on behalf of the foreign nationals (including foreign corporations; hereinafter in this section "foreign nationals" is to include "foreign corporations") or who has begun such an operation or has invested in such a business, the following conditions are to be fulfilled.
1. The office for the business concerned is located in Japan.
2. The business concerned is maintained with the scale of employing at least 2 full-time employees in Japan (excluding foreign nationals residing under the status of residence enlisted in Annexed Table 1 of the Immigration Control Act), in addition to those who operate and/or manage the business.
3. In case an applicant is to engage in the management of international trade or other business in Japan, he or she should have at least 3 years' experience in the operation and/or management of business (including the period during which the applicant studied business operation and management at Graduate School) and receive no less salary than a Japanese national would receive for comparable work.
-----------------
by John rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/7 13:09
Sorry I was hasty in that last post, here is the guide to visas:
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/appendix1.html#1
by John rate this post as useful

lots of farmland available 2008/2/21 21:48
Hi, I don't have an answer exactly to the original question but have started to explore this myself..and have a few points/observations

1 - there is a *lot* as in hundreds of thousands of hectares of farmland going out of production here. As was mentioned, rural depopulation and the lack of interest on the part of young people to enter farming (or forestry/fisheries) and the active distaste of most Japanes for living in rural areas means lots of land is idle.

2- Even though I live in an area with a lot of export oriented international companies, I have found that farmland around here is nearly free to rent - lots of older people who own fields don't want to farm or keep the weeds mowed - foreigners with permanent residency who will state that their main occupation is farming or forestry (or Japanese) can lease land very cheaply from the city government.

3 - there is a big disconnect between land prices in cities and remoter rural areas, and also between buildable and agricultural zoned land - am just starting to explore this more fully, but basically, demand is very low for agricultural land, even close to (at least some) urban areas.

4 - While the difficulty of gaining acceptance by locals shouldn't be underestimated, it might in some ways be easier for a foreigner than a non-local Japanese - and although certainly farming requires lots of skills and knowledge, I've found people to be supportive and willing to explain stuff - but since older, rural people speak something like real Japanese, I find them really difficult to understand..

oh, and

5 - global inflation of food costs is not going away anytime soon, and since Japan's actual level of food self-sufficiency is probably only 30 percent, if not less,
farming may not be such a bleak prospect here economically in the future.

(the standard figure you here for self-sufficiency is about 40 percent, but I believe that doesn't take into account the fact that 90 percent of domestic animal feed is imported...)

Douglas in Hamamatsu
by kurofune rate this post as useful

Thanks Doug 2008/2/22 09:52
I think I have a somewhat better understanding of farming in Japan. As far as learning farming techniques go, I plan on doing WWOOF japan for the next year or two. which should give me enough time to finish learning japanese.

By the way Doug, where did you find out how much the land in rural areas costs? Got a website or something or just kinda asked around.

dont want my post to die 2008/2/24 03:02
i was hoping someone out there might be able to give me a number in terms of cost of farmland and the size of the farm. After this year I'll have about 2 million yen saved up and was wondering if anyone thinks thats enough.

PS-this information is hard to find XP

Thank you
by matt rate this post as useful

which visa to WWOOF? 2008/2/24 08:59
Can't help you with the farmland thing, but just out of interest what visa do you plan on WWOOFing with? Are you of Japanese ancestry or are you being sponsored for a cultural visa? If not, then I don't know of any visa would allow you to do that for more than 90 days.

Also 2 million yen is less than $20,000- I can't imagine that amount buying a lot of land in Japan, but maybe I'm wrong

not much, but.. 2008/2/24 17:44
Hi, Matt -

Can't be all that specific, but I've seen small fields advertised for around 20 thousand, and a few houses for under thirty. I was able to access a magazine that is primarily for realtors use for my area, most of the listings that were along the lines of your/my interests turn out to be from one guy who is specializing in that type of property in this area. sounds like a thankless job to me, as few Japanese are interested, I haven't contacted him directly yet.

I get the idea a lot of this stuff is not advertised or maybe even listed with realtors, but maybe available in a lot of cases if the approach and price are right.
I think that's a function that realtors often perform here - so for example, a realtor in a particular local area (that decided you were credible and OK to work with)
would probably know what properties are out there and which owners worth and could do that on your behalf. approaching.

If it were me, I think I'd narrow down the areas of interest and try to get some teaching gig in that areas that will sponsor your visa. Then, you can settle down to meeting people and exploring the area.

Meeting someone who knows someone who knows someone that can help you with something is alsmost always the most effective way to get something like that accomplished in Nihon (in my experience anyway).

Hope that helps..

Douglas

woops.. 2008/2/24 17:48
I think I meant to say:

I think that's a function that realtors often perform here - so for example, a realtor in a particular local area (that decided you were credible and OK to work with)
would probably know what properties are out there and which owners are worth approaching and could do that on your behalf.

- D

tell us more 2008/2/24 18:59
Hi Matt.
I am genuinely interested in knowing what you have in mind.

It seems you don't know much about Japan or farming, and you don't have much money.

Why have you chosen Japan?
How much land do you think you need?
What are you going to farm?
Are you planning on making your living from farming? Most Japanese farmers can't do this.

Tell us more.

You're right about one thing... 2008/2/25 14:04
I really don't know much about farming at all. I am waiting after I do WWOOF japan for a couple years do decide that.

As far as the Visa is concerned with WWOOF, If not a cultural Visa then I may have to settle for 90 days off and on for a while.

I'm not sure if I want my living to be farming, because I haven't studied it long enough in that area or in general to see if thats practical. But I find the prospect of working outside on your own land very liberating in a way.

And I have chosen Japan simply because I have always wanted to move there since I was 15. The culture there draws me in and just everything about japan as a whole seems like home to me.

I'm a little vague in some areas here, but I can narrow some areas down.

Also, in reference to the area in which I would like to farm in, I would prefer Hokkaido. I have heard they are a bit more accepting of foreigners and a bit more open minded. Not sure if thats true or not, but its what I have heard.

Again, most of my speculations are just that. I'll have to see when I visit there.

To all those interested in this, I believe we should either keep this thread open for updated info, or you can e-mail me. mc8889764@hotmail.com

by matt rate this post as useful

More about visas 2008/2/25 16:51
Hi Matt, before you go any further with the idea of WWOOFing for several years in Japan I suggest you look at visa options closer. This is the definition of what you can do on a cultural visa, taken from the Japanese government website: "Academic or artistic activities that provide no income, activities for the purpose of pursuing specific studies on Japanese culture or arts, or activities for the purpose of learning and acquiring skills in Japanese culture or arts under the guidance of experts (for example, ikebana, tea ceremony, judo, etc.)."

I have my doubts as to whether WWOOFing fits those criteria or whether a WWOOF farmer is eligible to sponsor that kind of visa.

These are the documents required for the cultural visa, from the same site:
1. In cases where the person concerned intends to engage in academic or artistic activities, or to engage in specific studies of Japanese culture or arts, the following materials are required.
Documents certifying the activity and its duration of the person concerned, and the outline of the organization where he or she intends to engage in the activity concerned.
Documents certifying the academic career, professional career, and other career regarding the activity of the person concerned.
Documents certifying that the person concerned can defray all expenses incurred during the stay in Japan.

2. In cases where the person concerned intends to learn Japanese culture or arts under the guidance of an expert, additional materials showing the career and the achievements of the expert, besides the documents mentioned above, are required.

(from www.mofa.go.jp)

Notice that it requires you to give proof of enough funds to support your stay in Japan as well.

Many people on this site have asked whether they can stay in Japan long term just by coming in and out on tourist visas- most people will be let in again the second time if they have stayed the full 90 days and return soon after, but should expect to be questioned closely about their activities in Japan and how they are supporting themselves.

Trying this a third time though will almost certainly result in being turned away at the airport, and not being allowed back in for up to 6 months. The maximum stay in any calendar year is 180 days.

Also when I mentioned above that anyone wanting to buy land in Japan and farm it should have a good knowledge of Japanese culture, I didn't mean theoretical Japanese culture- what you can read in books, but the day to day realities of living in Japan in the 21st century, which could be quite different from what you imagine they are.

I am not trying to shoot down your dreams here, just saying be practical and realistic. Before you go any further with the idea of staying long term and buying land here, come and WWOOF for 90 days and see what you think of the place and whether it is what you expected.

WOOFing, etc 2008/4/16 15:52
Hi all. As a preface, I have been living here for about 7 years in kyoto and have done a bit of research on starting a farm, as well as tons of painful research concerning visas.

If you wish to WOOF for longer than 90 days, which is possible, you could apply for a cultural visa studying japanese farming techniques. The organization would be the farm that is willing to take you on (correspondence would be necessary), and they would also have to promise to take care of food and board (in return for labor of course). Once you have the visa you are somewhat free to move around and do what you like. You could of course explain this to the host farm and work something out.

I have also looked into land prices, which vary entirely depending on the area. The costs for starting a farm are substantial in themselves (seed, tools, etc) not to mention that you cannot build on agricultural land.

Check out the writings of Masanobu Fukuoka, and fukuokafarmingol.info

Glad I stumbled on this thread.

Good luck,
D
by Danny rate this post as useful

Farm life 2008/10/18 00:08
I have some experience farming being a son of a farmer. There are a number of things you need to pay heed to, Firstly the quality of the land, what you want to grow and most importantly the amount of land. There is a scale of economies when it comes to farming, you need to make enough money to make a living and you need to be quite mechanized to really make a success of it. Trudging around a field planting rice or vegetables by hand is not particular efficient and a damned hard way to make a living. I would not go for less than 40 hectares. Farming sounds like a romantic way of life but I can assure you it is extremely hard work. If you are an arable farmer the pay days can come once or twice a year (depending on the climate and land quality), breeding live stock is very expensive and you will be up at all times of the night birthing calves, piglets or lambs etc. Dont let me put you off but it is hard work but some people just love this way of life as does my family.

by Alan rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 3: Posts 1 - 20 of 48

1 2 3
next

reply to this thread