Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

I should know this... 2008/2/10 15:58
Okay 2 phrases that I need help with.

1. 日本語の勉強していますか

I'm still learning -te form so I am confused with the teimasuka. I'd like to know why there's an i between te and masuka.

2. 時間があるとき、あそぼうね

This one i'm kinda lost on. I'm guessing the first 2 kanji mean hours and i always seem to forget when you use ga instead of wa :(

Any help is great, thanks :)
by James  

grammar 2008/2/10 18:08
There is an "i" because it's part of the verb- "imasu". "Masu" here is not separate from the "i". The "ka" is actually separate because it's a question particle.

In casual speech the "i" is often not pronounced.

"Jikan" means "time". The whole sentence is "When you have time, let's hang out together". "Asobou" literally means "let's play" but that translation sounds odd when you are talking about adults.

the difference between wa and ga is really complicated and depends on the situation. When you are talking about "having time" though, it is always "Jikan ga aru", "Jikan ga areba" etc.
by Sira rate this post as useful

ahhh 2008/2/11 03:48
Okay, I should've figured out the first one, it makes sense now :P

Never knew of that verb form so asobou kinda confused me :P didn't know it could be interpreted as hang out either. Thanks for the help
by James rate this post as useful

reply to this thread