Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Which Rail Pass is Best? 2008/2/10 23:39
Hello

I am going to Japan on Tues 12th for a period of 15 days.

I will be spending the majority of my time in Tokyo, but plan at 1 or 2 trips out of town to Osaka or Kyoto

I've check the details on the JR Pass and the cheapest 14 da y ticket is GBP214. This seems a lot considering I'd only be doing 2 return train journeys and using the Tokyo metro system

Is it worth it or is a more suitable pass available?

Thanks!

Rick
by Ricky Smith  

... 2008/2/11 08:32
A Japan Rail Pass pays off only if you make major journeys. Since the Osaka side trip is your only major journey, it is the only part of the trip for which you could consider a (7-day) pass.

A 7-day Japan Rail Pass happens to cost about the same as a regular round trip ticket between Tokyo and Osaka, but note that you could travel considerably cheaper by a cheap overnight bus:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4006.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/11 09:52
It would be illogical to do two separate trips to Osaka and Kyoto from Tokyo, as both cities are located about 30 minutes apart. I would suggest trying to visit both within a 7 day period, get the 7 day JR Rail Pass and to stay locally while exploring the area. You will also need to get the voucher for the pass tomorrow, Monday. Hopefully you are in somewhere like London where you can go into a seller and pick up the voucher while you wait.
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

If in London... 2008/2/11 09:58
You can get a JR Rail Pass pretty much while you wait (unless it is lunchtime) at:

Miki Travel
18/20 Cannon St
EC4M 6XD
Tel. 020 7312 1700

Their price in pounds sterling is very good. I don't know if you are aware. but you cannot purchase the JR Rail Pass within Japan.
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

reply to this thread