Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How much can I bring home to Canada? 2008/2/12 15:00
I live in Canada, and when I go to Japan, I plan to buy a lot of stuff. There are lot of CD's I would like to buy, some DS games, some clothes, souveniers, etc...

How much can I bring back to Canada? Is there even a limit?

Thank you.
by Nathan  

... 2008/2/12 16:49
The duty free limit is determined by Canadian Customs and you will only be checked when returning to Canada. You can check this on Canada's customs site:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/

BTW, if you have more than the limit you will have to pay duty on the extra, but you can still bring it in (assuming its not contraband)
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Depends 2008/2/13 06:06
Are you asking how much you can bring back without paying? That depends, check the Canada customs site. For example, USA has something like $800 before you pay.

One thing you may look at - mailing things home while there. For example, I live in America, I could mail things home and if I listed them to a family member and labelled them as a gift, I didn't have to pay for them. So, I mailed the manga I bought to my brother, the electronics to someone else, etc. and got them when I came home. Makes it easier to pack, also.
by Me rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/13 06:19
Mel, in relation to US laws , mailing items home are still subject to customs regulations.
by John rate this post as useful

customs 2008/2/13 07:21
The maximum you can bring tax free is $ can.750 (after a couple of days away, 72 hrs I think)but the customs form you present at the airport back in Canada ask you if you are expecting to get something later, its value etc. How much you will pay in taxes, if you are over the limit, often depends on the staff. Years ago the maximum tax free allowance was very low. Once I came back with expensive books, still in the store plastic wrapper. The agent opened a couple of books, while telling me the duty was expensive, then said something like "these books got to be second hand..no duty" call your local custom office and ask them about the duty on stuff you are likely to bring back.. by the way in Japan as in Europe, CDs, DVDs, clothes etc. are way more expensive than in Canada. Another problem is that airlines are cracking down on the number and weight of luggages. An extra suitcase filled up of stuff may cost you a fair bundle. You might be able to send small packages as gifts to your "family" but it is a hassle, as a tourist, to find the proper boxes, wrapping, fill up forms etc. and there is always the possibility they will be stolen in transit.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/13 09:31
I am aware that CD's and clothes are expensive, I might check some second hand CD stores.

There are probably around 20-25 CD's I want, around 5 DS games, plus a few T-shirts and or hoodie., plus whatever else I see.

Lets say I spend about $1000 CAD, or more, how much can I expect to pay when I get back to Canada?

I know it may depend, but can I get a rough idea?

Also, I will only have one suitcase, and a carry on bag.

Thanks for the help!
by Nathan rate this post as useful

DS 2008/2/13 10:41
Regarding the DS games, correct me if I'm wrong.. but I'm pretty sure the jp.DS games are on only compatible with the jp.DS system. you might want to look into that.
by km rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/13 11:11
Me - things you mail back are still subject to duty and you are supposed to declare them on your customs form when you enter the country.

FYI, the DS has no region coding. Japanese games will work on foreign DSs. Only problem will be that the games are in Japanese.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

yllwsmrf's link 2008/2/13 12:20
This will answer all of your questions. It is from yllwsmrf's reply to your original question only it is a little deeper into the CBSA website.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5056-eng.html
by .. rate this post as useful

reply to this thread