Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR pass vs Bus 2008/2/13 02:06
Day 1: From narita to Tokyo
Day 3: Proceed to OSAKA via Shinkansen
Day 4-5: Will visit Kyoto/ Hiroshima by Shinkansen
Day 6: Return to Tokyo via Shinkansen

Day 1: From narita to Tokyo ( Going to Shibuya, shinjuku, Harajuku, Ginza )
Day 3: Proceed to OSAKA via Bus ( Overnight )
Day 4-5: Will visit Kyoto/ Hiroshima by Shinkansen
Day 6: Return to Tokyo via Bus ( Overnight )
Or is there any better Way

How high is my chance to see sakura on 21 March ( Tokyo )

Thanks .. . .
by NotMe  

. 2008/2/13 12:19
I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to ask of us.

Obviously the train is faster but more expensive even with a JR pass.

Buses are cheaper, but I would say JR pass because you have Hiroshima squeezed into your trip.

If Hiroshima wasn't added into your trip itin I think bus is cheaper, but again obviously how much do you value your time?

I don't think Kyoto in one day does it justice, but whatever floats your boat.

Yo don't need to take the Shinkansen from Osaka to Kyoto.
by John rate this post as useful

Thanks John 2008/2/13 23:48
I did a copy any paste and
there is some error.
New plan.

Day 1: From narita to Tokyo ( Going to Shibuya, shinjuku, Harajuku, Ginza )
Day 3: Proceed to OSAKA via Bus ( Overnight )
Day 4-5: Will visit Kyoto/ Shinkansen
Day 6: Return to Tokyo via Bus ( Overnight )

Since i am taking bus during night thers shouldnt be any time loss right?

by Notme rate this post as useful

Tokyo and Kyoto 2008/2/14 00:10
To take the shinkansen for 15 min to commute between Osaka and Kyoto means Yen 5000 per day or Yen 10 000 for your two days Kyoto. Plus the two nightbuses this is nearly a 7 day JR Rail Pass what gives you more comfort. When you take the evening hikari shinkansen leave Tokyo 20 h arrive ShinOsaka 23.15 you do not loose any daytime for sightseeing. Same return from Osaka to Tokyo. Do not underestimate you do not sleep well in the overnight bus and this might influence your sightseeing the next day.
But of course if you are on a tight budget: bus is cheaper than shinkansen and commute between Osaka and Kyoto by local train ( 45 min Yen 540 ).
by Peter rate this post as useful

Enter Tokyo, exit Osaka? 2008/2/14 01:00
If you haven't already booked your flight, check to see if the airline operates out of both Narita and Kansai (Osaka), many of the big carriers do. The price should be about the same to fly into Tokyo and out of Kansai. This will save you money and time on ground transportation.
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

Enter Tokyo, exit Osaka? 2008/2/14 04:20
I have already book the
ticket.
I do understand
i will not sleep well in the overnight bus. But i can save
two night of hotel.
Cause budget quite tight

to Kyoto 2008/2/14 06:29
don't use the Shinkansen from Osaka to Kyoto (15 5minutes). use Hankyu or Hanshin or Kintetsu depending on your hotel location. it takes 30-45 minutes and the tickets-one way- are 600 yen MAX.
NOT REALLY MY BUSINESS but:
when you arrive in Osaka from Tokyo by the night bus you can leave your luggage in the hotel but you can't use the room until the afternoon. where are you going to wash, change clothes etc.? and then you have to go to Kyoto after barely sleeping?!
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/14 11:14
Notme,

If you don't mind me saying, you can buy a 7 day JR Pass and using the sunrise night trains back and forth Tokyo and Osaka (every nite) to save money. Sunrise nobinobi is free with JR Pass and the chance to get seat is not too bad. Only try not to book the Friday night train from Osaka to Tokyo.
The train has shower facility too(under 400 yen).
I did that so many times but I admitted that the sleeping quality wasn't too good, therefore, I insisted visiting onsen everyday to energize myself.
Good experiences. Do try that out for fun and to save money.
by lester rate this post as useful

Thanks Guy 2008/2/18 06:28
Thanks lester
but your suggestion was too late. Many next time
i have already bought the bus ticket.
i think your suggestion is
better.
cause i never thought there is a sunrise night trains services.

Lester 2008/2/19 07:03
Where can i get the info ( english ) on the sunrise train
I bought the ticket from tokyo~kyoto now i am planing to vist Kanazawa and take
Sunrise train back to tyoko.
Is there any?

Thanks in advance

Night Trains 2008/2/19 08:59
The Sunrise night train does not run from Kanazawa, but there is a night express from Kanazawa (22.15) to Ueno station in Tokyo (06.05). The fare for unreserved seat is 9240 or 9550 reserved. This train has regular seats, not the nobinobi compartments as on the Sunrise trains.

You can find some info on night trains here:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2356.html
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

..... 2008/2/19 10:16
Notme,

It is right you can take the NOTO train running between Ueno and Kanazawa. It is free and I had personal experience with the Green Car of the Noto train. Noto is not as comfortable as the sunrise although they are both free using JR Pass.
However, you can still go to Kanazawa and take a train ([特急]サンダーバード50号) from Kanazawa at 20:36
back to Osaka at 23:12( to get on the sunrise night train bound for tokyo at 00:34.
There are two options in case one of the trains is full.
On my last trip, I couldn't get the booking for the sunrise to Tokyo caused it was a Friday nite, I took the train to Kanazawa and used the Noto instead. This is the fun part of using the night trains.
by lester rate this post as useful

reply to this thread