Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

train in Osaka & Koyasan! 2008/2/13 02:54
2 questions:
I need to get to Nara from Himeji.
Hyperdia puts me there with a change at Osaka (and less than 20 min to do it) JR ''special rapid service''
and then JR ''Yamatoji line''
How far are the 2 trains?osaka platform #8 to osaka platform #1.
I read somewhere that the shinkansen is actually a different station altogether!
2nd but similar question:
I am also making that multi (5)connection (mind boggling to gaijin) trip from Koyasan
to Osaka shinkansen for nozomi back to Tokyo.
are the stations in Osaka close enough together to navigate rapid transfer with a small suitcase?
train is expensive and I'm afraid of missing it.
Is there an easier way to get from Koyasan to Osaka (less transfers)
by lori  

response to Lori re: lodging at My Koya 2008/2/13 12:55
Lori,
you asked which temple we were staying at when we get to Myt Koya. We have not chosen one but Shojoshin-in was recommended.
Have you other ideas?
Thanks for your response
Helaine
by helaine rate this post as useful

Koya ssan 2008/2/13 14:31
1-is it from platform 1 to 8 or track 1 to 8?. the second option might be much shorter. at any rate it might take 6 minutes max by underground passage. In Japan, especially in big stations where each platform is used by many trains in succession, trains arrive 2 minutes before departure so 20 minutes in plenty.
2-Koya san: check a detailed Osaka map(internet,guidebook)
all Shinkansens use stations called Shin-- in your case Shin-Osaka, about 10 minutes by frequent trains from JR Osaka in Kita and less by the Mido-Suji subway. To go to Koya san you take a Nankai railway company train (not JR)from Namba Minami. the easiest way from Kita (coming from Nara) to Namba is by the subway Mido-suji line. On the way back from Koya san take the same Mido-suji line from Namba all the way to Shin-Osaka. There are lots of Nozomi shinkansens all day long.If you leave Koya san in the morning, plan for an early afternoon Nozomi and you will be OK.
I checked Hyperdia and found a trip w/3 changes only, from Osaka kita to Koya-san, depending on the time of the day. check www.japan-guide.com/e/e4904.html
I think that taking the Mido-suji subway is easier than the JR loop line, especially on the way back. you still have to do: Koya-san bus to cable car. cable car to train. train to Nankai-Namba, subway Namba to Shin-Osaka. can't be helped. Personally I would hate to do that both ways and, to make it worse, have to sleep in a temple, get up very early, pray etc. sound too much like the boarding school I attended. On the other hand the fact that you have to go to all that trouble is the point of the whole experience! anything that you have to suffer for is worth much more that what you is given to you on a platter. Don't stress yourself too much. You will have a great time.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/2/14 05:43
Thanks redfrog...I guess I am being too serious!
Lots of info to process, as the trip "planner" I always worry that If it's not perfect everyone will suffer for my mistakes.
Sounds like we went to the same boarding school!
by lori rate this post as useful

Go! 2008/2/14 09:48
I stayed at the shojoshin-in last November, and I highly recommend it! I couldn't have been happier with the experience, and the close proximity to the Okunoin was a bonus for a night-time wander. It's fantastic!
by R. rate this post as useful

I reckon 2008/2/14 12:55
I also stayed at shojoshin-in last year. My advice.... Bring a lot of warm clothes!!! It is damn cold up there!
by greedyfatty rate this post as useful

Shin stations 2008/2/14 17:47
Red Frog: Re: all Shinkansens use stations called Shin-- in your case Shin-Osaka

Not all shinkansen stations use the prefix shin, nor is the prefix shin reserved exclusively for stations on shinkansen lines. There are many "shin" stations on local lines across Japan, both JR and private railways. Shin simply means new, as in New Osaka station.

When the shin prefix is used for stations on a shinkansen line, it is usually because of the difficulties of building the line to the original station.
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

reply to this thread