Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Which rail pass? 2008/2/13 11:06
My wife & I (early 60's) will be visiting Japan for 14 days in November. We arrive in the evening of 1st November & one itinerary (by date) we're considering is:
1-5 Tokyo (inc day trips to
Kamakura & Nikko)
6 Tokyo-Osaka
7-8 Osaka
9 Osaka - Hiroshima
10 Hiroshima
11 Hiroshima - Kyoto
12-14 Kyoto (inc Nara & Miho
Museum)
15 Kyoto - Narita Airport,
for departure at 2020

My question is which rail pass, or combination of passes, would be the most suitable for us, given the number of different passes, discounted tickets etc? A SUICA card would appear to cover the time in & around Tokyo but then what? A 7-day JR pass obviously leaves us several days short, but a 14-day JR pass without a SUICA card seems excessive. Any advice would be appreciated, please
by Agfox  

suggestions 2008/2/13 13:44
Here is my suggestion to reduce transport costs by using a 7 DAYS JR Pass for long distance trips.
Nov.1st Tokyo buy a NEX-SUICA at the airport. see Travel page on this site then click on transportation etc. for details or check http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2027.html. stay in Tokyo until day 9 OR, RATHER, CUT BACK your trip by 3 days if possible (there is a lot to see in Tokyo but on a first trip the sensory overload of huge crowds, bright lights, overhead freeways etc. may be too much. on the other hand staying in Tokyo a full week (day 1 you will crash and rest) allows you to really take it easy, checking a few places in details every day instead of rushing to see too much too fast. your choice)
for day trips to Kamakura & Nikko buy individual tickets.
(the trip to Nikko is cheaper by Tobu railways)
Nov. 9 Tokyo-Osaka in the morning, Osaka in the afternoon (castle, Kita, Minami)you can use the JR pass on the loop line to go to these places.
Nov. 10 Osaka-Hiroshima morning. Miyajima afternoon (use JR train then ferry from Hiroshima to the island and back)
Nov. 11 Hiroshima Peace park morning.Hiroshima-Kyoto early afternoon.
Nov.12-14 Kyoto (inc Nara & Miho Museum)uses buses in Kyoto and JR (use pass)to Nara (you may not be able to see Nara and Miho in one day).
Nov.15 Kyoto - Narita Airport,
for departure at 2020. stop at shinagawa and take the airport train from there (ask the reservation office in Kyoto)
This is based on my experience (7 trips so far)and is doable.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

Thanks.. 2008/2/13 14:04
Thanks for your advice Red Frog. I should have mentioned that we've visited Japan once before (Tokyo 5n inc 1/3 bus tour, Osaka 5n inc visits to Himeji, Kyoto & a 1/2 tour of Nara). Also, we're locked into the arrival/departure dates.
by Agfox rate this post as useful

14 Day Rail Pass 2008/2/13 19:23
Working out the cost of using a 7 day plus a single shinkansen ticket to Kyoto/Osaka vs 14 day Rail Pass, excluding your trip to Nikko and other miscellaneous JR trains, the 14 day pass would be 2000 Yen more. If you used your 14 day Rail Pass to get to and from Nikko, then you would be saving money. Although you would be having to pay for buses and private rail to explore the Nikko area if you wanted to do more than just the main temples/shrines.

So I would suggest you get the NEX+Suica on your arrival. Then your 14 day pass would start the next day, use that to return to Narita on your last day. Remember that the Suica is a "pay as you go" card, so you would use that only for subways, private railways and buses. Use your JR Rail Pass for any JR lines in Tokyo, trip to Kamakura, etc. Make sure that you get your rail pass (to cover Nov 2-15) when you get your NEX+Suica so that you can use it for local journeys straight away on day 2.
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/2/14 08:35
Thanks, Rob, for your advice. What you suggest meets our requirements without compromising our proposed itinerary - much appreciated
by Agfox rate this post as useful

reply to this thread