Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can on-line buy one way train ticket? 2008/2/13 15:11
Can on-line buy one way train ticket?
by Ms. Low Siew Ying  

Tickets online 2008/2/13 16:28
Low Siew,

No, tickets and seat reservations have to be bought at stations or travel agents in Japan.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/14 02:49

Yes, if you are fluent in Japanese and have a credit card.
http://www.tabi.eki-net.com/

Though they ask you for an address in Japan, your friend's will do.

JR East had an English online booking service until several years ago, but it's been discontinued since.
by optimistk rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/14 03:41
So, does this eki-net service send you the ticket to the address in Japan or hold your ticket at midorino madoguchi somewhere?
by sachy rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/14 03:42
If you use that service it depends on the ticket if it is JR or not. and if it is JR if it is a short distance nonreserved etc or not. alot of variables.
by John rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/14 05:12
@sachy,

So, does this eki-net service send you the ticket to the address in Japan or hold your ticket at midorino madoguchi somewhere?

I should have mentioned earlier that you need to have your booking ticketed at a reservation counter or a reservation ticket machine with your registered credit card and the reference at one of the JR EAST STATIONS until you board the train. You must produce the credit card and the reference to the rep at the ticket counter, or insert it into the reservation ticket machine and press the PIN.
If you fail to show up and collect the ticket by the departure time, the full amount will be billed to your credit card account.

No other JR company's station handles this service, and there is no delivery service of paper ticket to a desired address as seen in Europe.

This is like an airline e-ticket system. The booking has been secured with your credit card's guarantee in JR East's computer system until the train ticket is issued. It's simiar to having your boarding pass issued at a check in counter in the airport.

Though the designated ticketing point is only in the JR East area as stated above, you can book tickets for all the trains throughout Japan no matter which JR company operates them. But be reminded that overnight sleeper trains and some other particular trains can't be booked via this service.

Even if you don't understand Japanese, this service can be very useful when you have a friend in Tokyo or nearby area.
Ask him or her to enroll and book seats for you before you enter Japan.

Any Japan Railpass holder can utilize this. After having your pass validated, go to one of the designated station counters with the friend, and after you produce your pass, and your Japanese friend produces the credit card and the reference, the reservation ticket is issued without any fee. Don't use the machine at that time.

Hope this helps.

The timing of billing 2008/2/14 07:31
JR East bill you when ticket is issued, not when booking is made. Therefore complimentary reservation tickets with a JR pass can be issued without complicated transaction.

... 2008/2/14 19:16
There are six regional JR railway companies across Japan for passenger traffic. Each of them has a separate online ticket reservation system. And all of them require you to reside in Japan.

JR Hokkaido:
https://www3.jrhokkaido.co.jp/rail/asp/RWY010.aspx

JR East:
http://jreast.eki-net.com/

JR Tokai:
http://expy.jp/top.php

JR West:
http://www.jr-odekake.net/

JR Shikoku:
https://www.yoyaku.jrkyushu.co.jp/jr/reserve/member/pc/Login...
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/14 21:01
And all of them require you to reside in Japan

I'm not sure about other companies' service details, but as for the eki-net service, a foreigner fluent in Japanese, living outside of Japan, that has a contact (his or her friend's) address in Japan which JR East can definitely get in touch with, can get a membership and utilize the booking service.
I should have mentioned this on the earlier replies.

I contacted the Ekinet support center the other day to confirm this, and called today again and find what I have stated on this reply is the case.

If in doubt, contact them. I took a note of the rep's name.

Ekinet support center:
048-645-1703

... 2008/2/15 15:06
I should have worded: they require a Japanese address.

. 2008/2/15 15:51
意思の疎通が完全でない可柏ォがあるので日本語に変えさせて頂きます。

海外に住んでいる外国籍の人に、日本に住所を持つ友人、知人(国籍問わず)がいて、その住所にJRが連絡を確実に取れる場合、その外国人はえきねっとの会員になり一部を除くJR全列車の指定券蘭を海外からでもすることができます。
当然その外国籍の人は日本を旅行することが前提ですが。

この件は2回ほどえきねっと本部に電話で確認しており、昨日は担当者の名前も教えていただいたので間違えない情報です。

ただ実際のところ使う人はほとんどいないでしょうし、これ以上議論しても無意味な気がしますのでこの辺で止めておきます。

失礼しました。

... 2008/2/15 16:28
Thank you, I understand it. I should have worded: they require a Japanese address (either their own or the one of a friend in Japan). Sometimes I swallow exceptions for the sake of simplicity. This time because most foreign travelers to Japan don't have have an acquaintances in Japan in addition to advanced Japanese language skills. But, of course, you are right.

tickets 2008/2/15 20:41
I think it's easier to buy railway tickets or seat reservations at the stations, or even better, buy a JR railpass (but only if you have plans to do a lot of travelling or long distances by train.

Buying railway tickets or seat reservations is very easy and can be done on every JR station for every kind of train (local, express or shinkansen) for every destination within Japan.
by Bert rate this post as useful

reply to this thread