Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

dairy (milk)intake for babies ? 2008/2/13 23:20
In the UK it is recomended to give a 1year old baby between 350 and 650ml of milk a day. I was wondering what the recomended level in japan is since I know the use of milk is not very big in japanese cooking. What do do for the calcium needs of the babies instead? thank you
by britta  

300 - 400 2008/2/15 12:36
Milk consumption is encouraged very much in Japan, particularly for teens and younger, the pregnant and the elderly, who are people who especially need calcium.

For 1 year olds, 300 to 400ml of milk per day is recommended. Please keep in mind that average Japanese children are slightly smaller than average UK children.

Alternative foods containing calcium are typically tiny fish (such as sardines) and dark green leef vegetables (such as spinach).
by Uco rate this post as useful

thanks 2008/2/15 18:08
thanks you that is very interessting. I always assumed you would substitute soy products like tofu for the milk.? How about giving young children miso and is there a webpage where I could maybe look up a few japanese kiddi recipes? thanks agagain
by britta rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/15 20:21
Soy products contain quality protein but not as much calcium. For those who are allergic to milk, soy milk can be a good substitute to quench your thirst, but it's not exactly a substitute for your nutrition. Btw, I've never heard of tofu being a substitute for cow milk or breast milk, although tofu makes good baby food.

"How about giving young children miso"

I'm not sure if I understand the question.

"is there a webpage where I could maybe look up a few japanese kiddi recipes?"

For what age range? Are you looking for anything specific? Here is a photographed recipe site for infants. I wonder if this might help. As you scroll down you will see recipes for older children. Click the blue letters in the square to see photos of the dishes.
http://baby.goo.ne.jp/member/ikuji/rinyushoku_recipe/4/
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread