Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Advice on itinerary 2008/2/15 06:36
We are arriving Sun 10 am at Kansai Osaka. We have booked 3 nights in Kyoto and purchased 7 day JR passes. Can you look through my itinerary and advise if its doable.
Day 1 catch a train to Kyoto, visit Kyoto Tower, arriving to hotel booked near Kyoto Station area for 3 nights
Day 2 Hihashiyama Walk whole day (Sanjusangendo, Kyomizudera, Kodaji, Yasakajinja, Heian, Nanzenji (Path of Philosopy)Ginkakuji
Is this too much for one day? Should we do some of above on day arrival instead?
Day 3 trip to Nara - walking tour 5 km half day - Todaji. On the way back fit in Fushimi Inari Taisha - is that doable?
Day 4 Northwest Kyoto half day walk - Kinkakuji, Ryõanji, Ninnaji. Leaving to Tokyo and activating 7 day JR Pass. Find overnight stay in Tokyo.
Day 5 Tsukuji Fish Market, Ginza, Central Tokyo, Ruppongi
Day 6 Walking tour in East Shinjuku - any other good ideas?
Day 7 Leave Tokyo to Osaka. Find accommodation.
Day 8 Osaka - have not detailed itinerary yet
Day 9 Leave to Mt Koya - stay overnight in one of temple lodgings
Day 10 Mt Koya and back to Osaka
Day 11 Departing at Kansai Osaka
As you see I have detailed the Kyoto Nara stay but am not sure in what order is best for Osaka and Mt Koya stay

by Marie  

... 2008/2/15 14:00
Yes, this is a good itinerary. I see no problems.

Day 2 Hihashiyama Walk whole day. Is this too much for one day?

If you start early and travel at a relatively quick pace, it can be done in one day. If you prefer a slow pace, it is too much for a single day.

Day 3 trip to Nara. On the way back fit in Fushimi Inari Taisha - is that doable?

Fushimi Inari Shrine is located along the JR Nara Line, so it can be easily accessed on your way back to Kyoto, although note that the rapid trains do not stop at Inari Station. Therefore, take a rapid train to Uji and transfer there to a local train that will stop at Inari. Keep in mind the time of sunset, as the trails in Fushimi Inari get kind of scary after dark. Depending on whether you like scary experiences, time your arrival at the shrine accordingly.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thank you for your answer 2008/2/15 22:14
Would doing Fushimi Inari first and then Nara be better? There is one more question - ILd really like to visit some onsen during our stay. Would any of onsens be accessable from our route? Thank you in advance:)
by Marie rate this post as useful

onsen 2008/2/16 01:24
two proposals:
1.) day 7 morning fromTokyo by shinkansen Odawara, buy Hakone free pass make Hakone round trip, stay overnight in a ryokan in Hakone area
day 8 from Odawara to ShinOsaka by shinkansen ( have your main luggage send on day 6 already, so just one-night bag for Hakone round trip. )
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5200.html
2.) During your stay in Kyoto go to Kurama onsen for a bath.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3933.html
by Peter rate this post as useful

Fushimi-Inari 2008/2/16 05:58
Yes do the Fushimi-Inari shrine first. It takes about 3 hrs to go up and down the mountain though most people skip the back part of the circuit. I liked it as, even at 3 in the afternoon, it was getting dark under the trees and there was no one around. One felt far way in time and space, not 10 minutes by train from a crowded city.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/16 08:46
Would doing Fushimi Inari first and then Nara be better?

Yes, that would be a good idea. Although it is possible to spend 3 hours along the trails like Red Frog, it is really up to you how long you want to walk. Many people walk the trails for just an hour or less.

There is one more question - ILd really like to visit some onsen during our stay. Would any of onsens be accessable from our route?

As mentioned by Peter, a nice onsen can be found in Kurama, northern Kyoto City:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3933.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Up to the foxes den 2008/2/16 16:25
I should have said that I mentioned the 3 hrs bit for people who like to plan their sightseeing carefully.. Of course not everybody as the time--or the stamina--to do the whole circuit (I am only 59). The first time I went to the Fushimi-Inari shrine I walked up the mountain for just under one hour and turned around as I had to meet someone in Kyoto. The second time I went as far as I could.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

reply to this thread