Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Translation positions 2008/2/16 00:48
Hi Everyone,

Just a little question regarding translation positions in Tokyo; I would much like to know how one should go about landing a full-time translation job in Tokyo for a (native Japanese) applicant with:

1) Native level Japanese
2) An English level with a TOEC score of about 850
3) Graduated from Uni (having done a Bachelor of Economics) TWO YEARS AGO, whom has not done any (official) translation during that time, but has studied English (and received a certificate) and taught English (in Tokyo).
4) Other than a little translation course, No official translation work experience (but a strong will to learn).

A rather low level/basic translation job which includes training and ''learn on the job'' kind of aspects would be ideal.

My friend is NOT over opportunistically aiming for a professional translator position with inadequate experience; but does intend to become a professional in due time.

Im secretly asking about this for a dear friend of mine who has been rather quickly disheartened regarding the matter after hearing something to the effect of:

''ONLY FIRST YEAR UNIVERSITY GRADUATES ARE ABLE TO LAND SUCH LOW LEVEL FULL-TIME TRANSATION POSITIONS IN JAPAN WITH PROSPECTS OF TRAINING,ETC.''

That is to say, as my friend did not apply for such a position directly after having finished university, the only full-time translation positions available would be translation positions based on years of experience.

Is that what you know to be true?

Surely low level full-time translation positions which include training and ''learn on the job'' kind of aspects are still available to one, so young, who only graduated 2 years ago?

I mean seriously, there is only a 2 year difference.
It isnt as though my friend is demanding a higher pay rate than a first year graduate.

If anything, the 2 years of experience (in other fields) is an asset, is it not?

Does this discrimination truely exist?

If so, is there a way around it (excluding further experience/qualifications)?

Does any one have a different experience?

Any pointers (or contacts?) would be very, very greatly appreciated. I would very much like to pass on some good news.

Please help me with this if you can. I would much like to assist this young hopeful in achieving this (seemingly closed) dream career.

Thank you kindly for your help and concern regarding this matter.
by newmacsot  

try the recruitment agencies 2008/2/16 07:56
Contact the agencies that recruit for this kind of job- for example Tempstaff Japan, SeekJapan etc. They are the experts on this kind of thing and will be able to give accurate advice.
by Sira rate this post as useful

buy a mag and do research 2008/2/16 18:01
You can become a translator any time you want. A lot of people start as late as in their 30s and it's a kind of a job you can do after you age.

But the most important job for a translator is research. About 90% of your working hours are spent on looking up dictionaries and surfing the internet and going to libraries.

So I can _sympathise_ about your friend being discouraged, but you need to be a type of a person that will go on and do more research enough to find out more. Because by doing a really quick search on the internet, you can easily find out that your friend was mis-informed.

If your friend is in Japan, (s)he can look up job ads on newspapers and translation field magazines. A lot of natives start by registering for translation agencies or by helping professional friends.

Btw, translation doesn't pay. Your friend will need a side job if (s)he intends to support him/herself.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread