Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What to bring to an onsen? 2008/2/17 15:42
Hi, I've read about how to behave at an onsen but I still have a few questions.

1) I know they give you a small towel, but what about shampoo, soap, drying towel etc? Will I be allowed to bring in my own things?

2) I normally scrub my body with an exfoliating glove. Will it be weird to bring that in?

3) If i can bring my own things (soap, shampoo etc), where do I leave then when I'm in the bath?

Thanks for your help!
by Tayla  

... 2008/2/18 08:08
I know they give you a small towel, but what about shampoo, soap, drying towel etc?

It fully depends on the onsen. If you stay at a ryokan, you will usually be provided with a small onsen towel and a large towel for drying. You are supposed to either bring the towels with you from your room or the towels are provided in the changing room. As for soap and shampoo, it is provided in the bath by the ryokan.

If you go to a public bath or visit a ryokan's bath as non-staying guest, you usually have to bring your own towels or can rent or buy one at the place. Smaller places may not sell or rent towels, in which case you should bring your own towel. As for soap and shampoo, most of the time it is provided by the bath.

Some baths may have no area for washing, in which caase it is impossible to use soap and shampoo.

Will I be allowed to bring in my own things?

Even if towels, soap and shampoo are provided by the bath, you are always allowed to bring your own.

2) I normally scrub my body with an exfoliating glove. Will it be weird to bring that in?

No. Similar things are used in Japan. Just not usually in the form of a glove.

If i can bring my own things (soap, shampoo etc), where do I leave then when I'm in the bath?

Either leave it in the changing room and get it once you start your washing procedure. Or place them somewhere where they don't get in the way of others. It is best to plae them together in a small bag.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Keep tub and dressing room clean 2008/2/18 21:59
''Some baths may have no area for washing, in which caase it is impossible to use soap and shampoo.''

This is hard to imagine. You are always expected to wash yourself lightly before entering the tub, and therefore there is always a place to use your soap and shampoo as far as my experience and knowledge is concerned. At some bathing rooms, this space may be hard to find, but look around and there always is a spot.

In fact, bringing your own soaps and towels are always appreciated, since it will save the bath owner from providing their soap which is usually for free.

Typically, you take all your clothes off at the dressing room, and then you enter the bathing room WITH all the things you use in this bathing room - one small towel, and soap and shampoo if you have brought them along. A lot of people also bring a basin with them that will also work as a basket to put your soaps in. Other people actually bring them in a little plastic basket.

However, you leave your drying towel with your clothes.

In the bathing room, you use your small towel to scrub soap on yourself. If you have another scrubbing devise, go ahead and use that instead. But your towel would be handy to hide your private parts as you move around, and as a courtesy for those using the dressing room you'd want to wipe yourself roughly with the towel as you exit the bathing room.

When dipping in the tub, you can leave your soaps near a faucet. You can usually find a spot that won't get in people's ways. Just leave it there, so that anyone can use the faucet while you're not there. No one will steal them.

You can take your small towel to the tub with you, but DON'T DIP it in the tub, because people might think you have scrubbed dirt off your body with it. Keep the towel either on the edge of the tub, or on top of your head.

As mentioned, small towels are almost always available, but bath towels may not be. People who decide to go to the bath unexpectedly just buy/rent one small towel, scrub with it, then wipe themselves with that damp towel and just get dressed. But that's up to you.

All of this may sound complicated when you read it, but all you have to do is do as the others do.

Happy bathing!
by Uco rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/19 05:49
Some baths may have no area for washing, in which caase it is impossible to use soap and shampoo.

Their number is small, but there are a few older baths and rotemburo, which have no area for washing.

You are always expected to wash yourself lightly before entering the tub

That can be easily done by scooping some water from the bath over your body. There are scoops provided.
by Uji rate this post as useful

leave soap at "washing area" 2008/2/19 10:47
"You are always expected to wash yourself lightly before entering the tub

That can be easily done by scooping some water from the bath over your body. There are scoops provided."

Yes, and I was trying to say that that would be the area you keep your soap while dippiing in the tub. I guess it was misleading of me to have mentioned "faucet".
by Uco rate this post as useful

Warning 2008/3/29 17:41
Don't stare at the men with colorful tatoos.
by Sammy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread