Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Transport in Nikko 2008/2/17 21:05
Hi everyone. It's my first time going to Japan and any help planning transportation would be helpful.

I'm wondering would it be better to take a taxi or bus from Tayuinbyo to Chuzenji Onsen considering there will be 3 of us travelling and what the estimated price difference would be?

Many thanks.
by Phil  

... 2008/2/18 08:28
The bus to Chuzenji would cost about 3000 yen for three persons. A rough estimate of the taxi fare would be 4000 to 5000 yen.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/18 10:39
Isn't Tayuinbyo covered by the Nikko Free pass?
by Haf rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/18 12:34
Isn't Tayuinbyo covered by the Nikko Free pass?

I think it is covered. Tayuinbyo is not specifically mentioned among the sites covered on the official website, but because it is considered part of Rinnoji Temple, i think it is also covered.I cannot guarantee, though.

In any case, I don't see what this question has to do with this thread.

. 2008/2/18 14:20
and what the estimated price difference would be?

I asked the additional question because when it is covered by the Free Pass which most people travelling to Nikko should use anyway, it will certainly make more sense for Phil to use the bus than when it isn't covered.
by Haf rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/18 18:33
I see. In any case, pricewise, the free pass is certainly the cheaper version.

.. 2008/2/18 19:38
I already have a JR Pass and was planning to go to Nikko the long way round. Would it still be worth getting the Nikko Pass? Or would it be better to buy it and take the Tobu line from Asakusa if the savings are insignificant?

Thanks.
by Phil rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/18 22:00
If you have the train tickets already, what you could do it to buy just the bus pass once you arrive in Nikko. You might have to walk from JR Nikko to Tobu Nikko station to buy the bus pass (I only know the travel desk at Tobu Nikko station), but on the way back, you can ride the bus to JR Nikko station.

The second one from the top (Chuzenji Onsen pass) covers the stretch from JR/Tobu Nikko station up to Chuzenji Lake (for 2,000), you can get on off anywhere within the area covered, and it is valid for two days, so you can use it on your way back.

http://www.tobu-bus.com/pc/free_pass/onsen_free.html

Unfortunately they do not seem to have English language page for this one.
by AK rate this post as useful

thanks 2008/2/22 06:47
Thanks everyone for the useful advice. Keep up the good work :)
by Phil rate this post as useful

reply to this thread