Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

9-day trip suggestions 2008/2/18 09:11
Hello, my name is Jamie and I will be visiting Japan from March 11- 20th. I will be staying in Tokyo with a friend for a few days (she is an American working in Japan) and the only other destination on my tour is Osaka. I love nature, hiking, both modern and ancient Japanese culture, music and of course, food.

I am a 38 y/o male professional who has to Asia before, just never Japan. I am definitely looking to meet new friends in Japan (male or female) to hang out with learn more about your culture.

I am wondering if it makes sense to purchase the 7-day rail pass.

I look forward to hearing any and all suggestions!

Thanks!

Jamie
by Jamieakaplan  

... 2008/2/18 12:31
If you complete a round trip Tokyo-Osaka within seven calendar days, a 7-day Japan Rail Pass will be a good offer. It costs about the same as regular shinkansen tickets. You could do cheaper, though. Here are your options:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4006.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

9 days 2008/2/18 14:42
You can use your JR pass on the loop lines in both Tokyo and Osaka and of course on JR trains from these 2 towns to nearby towns, so the JR PASS is a good deal.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

Edo-Tokyo museum 2008/2/18 16:54
http://www.edo-tokyo-museum.or.jp/english/index.html

I visited Edo-Tokyo museum yeaterday and I think it's worth visiting if you are interested in Japanese culture. There are so many visual guidance like maps, replicas and figures that you can feel what Edo-Tokyo is like even without language. Moreover, English guide volunteer is available.

There is also 'Ukiyoe museum' , japanese woodblock print established in Edo period, if you are interested.
http://www.ukiyoe-ota-muse.jp/english.html
by Miki rate this post as useful

9 days. 2008/2/20 12:40
Tokyo is more of a shopping and nightlife city, but some of the museums, as previously mentioned are very good.

If you are interested in traditional culture, consider Kamakura (which is known for its temples) in the Tokyo area. Kamakura will also give you a feeling of the Japanese countryside. For such a short stay, you might just consider exploring the central neighborhoods of Tokyo.

If you spend much time in Osaka. Nearby Kyoto is a much larger destination for traditional culture (temples, gardens, arts, etc). Both Kyoto and Osaka are famous for their cuisine. Osaka is the birthplace of tako-yaki okonomiyaki, udon...

Osaka will be a better location for exploring natural areas. Consider a trip to Koya-san, or a trip along the coast east of Wakayama. Or travel along Inland Sea coast to Hiroshima or Okayama, or Takamatsu on Shikoku. Depending up on the weather, the views of the inland sea are unique and impressive.

A hidden treasure is Jinai-machi near Tondayabashi in Osaka. It is a large, non-touristed, historic neighborhood that escaped the bombing during the war.

On your way to Osaka, consider a stopover in Hakone in the Fuji area.
by Inago rate this post as useful

do we have to pre-book buses? 2008/3/22 18:42
Hi there,
Does anyone know if you need to pre-book tickets for the Nohi bus service between Takayama and Kanazawa? The website is all in Japanese and we are worried that we might get stuck in one of the towns!
by ping rate this post as useful

reply to this thread