Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

i broke the rice paper! 2008/2/20 23:24
i'm sure this is a common problem for shoji screens... But while dusting the wood, i pushed too hard on the paper and ripped it!

Do they sell new sheets of rice paper to attach to the wooden frame? or do i need to buy new shoji? Is there a way to fix this?
by Miyuki  

Shoji paper 2008/2/21 07:50
Miyuki,

Do they sell new sheets of rice paper to attach to the wooden frame? or do i need to buy new shoji? Is there a way to fix this?

Yes, it's a common problem, so replacement paper (it's not rice paper) can be bought at DIY stores and the household goods sections of larger supermarkets and department stores.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

thanks dave 2008/2/21 14:17
What's the name of the paper then so i can ask for it when i go to one of these stores?

Also, can you give an example of some of the stores that would sell these in tokyo?
by Miyuki rate this post as useful

Shouji paper 2008/2/21 17:10
Miyuki,

It's called "障子紙" (shoujigami). In central Tokyo, Tokyu Hands would be the best place to look (Ikebukuro, Shinjuku, Shibuya).
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

or hanshi 2008/2/21 18:08
Miyuki, if it's a small hole, you can simply go to your nearest stationary shop or supermarket and buy some notebook size "hanshi" (caligraphy paper) and paste it on the frame.

Or instead of pasting it on the frame, you can also cut your favorite shape (such as a flower or animal) and paste it around the hole, which doesn't look good as pasting it on the frame but is a traditional way of repairing holes; it saves paper that way.

Btw, stationary shops can sell you paper as minumum as 1 sheet, while supermarkets tend to sell by the pack only.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread