Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

University Degree, NO TEFL/TESOL 2008/2/22 16:14
I have a university degree in architecture, with minors in French, Spanish and Furniture Design...but limited teaching experience (only substituting). What I would really like to do is teach english for a while in Japan, Korea, Thailand, or China. I have no TEFL degree, but I am thinking about taking a course. Is that necessary to find a good job? Or can I get training and a certificate over there? If so, how do I get placed or find a reliable company/school?

I would really like to receive a certificate of TEFL without paying $1,000 US to obtain it...Is there anyway to teach over there and take a course at the same time?
by Kiffin Lashua  

Dave's ESL cafe site 2008/2/25 13:53
Before you potentially waste money on a TESOL course, check out the sites dedicated to information about teaching English in Japan, Korea etc. www.eslcafe.com is one- there is a Japan forum, a Korea forum and many others where your questions have all been answered. Have a look over there and then ask there if you have any more questions which don't seem to have been answered yet. The FAQs on the Japan section are particularly good- don't forget to check there first.
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/25 16:25
Personally I wouldn't waste my money on a course. It is not necessary as some schools will offer training. Not all do either, but my main point is...save your money and apply. I know lots of people here with no certificate and they landed jobs no problem. Have fun teaching!
by Max rate this post as useful

reply to this thread