Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Toyoko Inn Otsuka Eki 2 or Ikebukuro? 2008/2/24 05:19
Hi Guys,I can't decide between Ikebukuro 1 or 2 or Otsuka Eki kitaguchi 2. I will be arriving after 9pm so would prefer the surroundings of the hotel to be not so 'dead' as I will be alone and a girl. Read that the walk to Otsuka 1 is very quiet, that's why I am not considering it. But I don't want to walk through 'red light district' either. Also, which has nicer or newer facilities?
by Mel  

Otsuka 2 2008/2/25 10:00
I would suggest Otsuka 2, it is the one I stay at since it opened. It is very close to the station (about 5 minutes walk, max) and the area is still busy at that time of night. Actually, the Otsuka 1 location is on a busier street, but I do not recommend that you stay there, it is one of their early hotels and it is more of a motel style access to the rooms with no natural light because the windows are "mirrored" because of people walking past your window. The direct walking route to Otsuka 2 takes you along a not so busy road that runs parallel with the JR tracks. If you feel uneasy with the direct route I would suggest that you walk along the busy shopping street that Otsuka 1 is on and then turn first left to access Otsuka 2. But really, you should not be concerned, Otsuka is a pretty nice area.

I've stayed in Ikebukuro before, it is a zoo and you do have to go thru a red-light area to get to both Toyoko Inns.
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/25 11:51
I've stayed at both Ikebukuro Inns, you don't have to walk through the red light district, if you walk along the north end where Ikebukuro 1 is you can also turn left to where the Ikebukuro 2 is.

I even walked through the "love" street area which isn't the best route to take to the hotel anyways.

I've must of walked this route dozens of times already when staying in Ikebukuro (the North Exit route), I can tell you tell, the roads leading to it is deader then a doorknob. Most of the action in Ikebukuro is happening in the streets over and on the otherside of Ikebukuro Station.
The area around both hotels are very quiet.

It is very safe and I wouldn't worry about it too much if you decide to stay at either Ikebukuro Toyoko Inns.
by John rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/25 11:55
Ikebukuro station itself is very busy:

http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/images/h99e_map.gif

If you look at that map, I walked the North Exit but the West Exit isnt too far either.

Walking along "Bunka Street" there are a places that are questionable, but there is no one standing outside hustling people like in Shinjuku or Roppongi. Otherwise Bunka Street was very very quiet, no street hustlers or people standing out of bars or anything. A lot of the action in Ikebukuro happens off this map on the East Exit, and along Romance Street. None of which is required to get to the Toyoko Inns in Ikebukuro.

. 2008/2/25 11:58
Romance street is on the west side, but again you don't need to walk down that street to get to either hotels again its quite safe and very quiet.

. 2008/2/25 12:07
LOL sorry I wish there was an edit function to go back.

But I've also stayed at the Otsuka 1 as well. The road going up to it is also quiet, its pretty small there wasn't even a sidewalk to walk on most of the way.

Both Ikebukuro hotels in the immediate areas surrounding the hotels is quiet.
Which I never minded because I need sleep.

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for. If you're looking for a hotel where you can immediately step outside and see bright neon lights and action, none of those hotels are liked that.

Little cafes nearby? 2008/2/25 12:47
Thanks so much for all your feedbacks. I am just staying 1 night so basically it is just a stopover for me. I don't really want to be surrounded by neon signages surrounding but ideally to be in an area where I can still get something cheap to eat at around 9pm (since that is when I will arrive at the hotel). It will be nice if the surroundings have little cafes. Would you know any Toyoko Inn with this kind of surroundings?
by Mel rate this post as useful

reply to this thread