Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Stuff to translate for practice 2008/2/25 13:51
Hello, I've had about 4 semesters of Japanese language instruction in college, and now that I have graduated I am trying to continue to learn Japanese through self-study.

Can anyone recommend some good Japanese language material available on the internet that I might be able to print out? Maybe like newspaper or magazine articles, or bits of untranslated manga?
by J.R.  

=) 2008/2/26 02:03
A couple of people recommended a few things to me in this topic:
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+46375

It's mostly for beginners so it might be too basic for you but there's a link to a site and a book you can buy. I hope this helps =)
by aisha rate this post as useful

Tensei Jingo 2008/2/26 03:30
The Asahi Shimbun has a series of mini-essays and commentary columns called Tensei Jingo. They have good (if a bit formal) vocabulary and are nice-sized chunks.

What I like about Tensei Jingo is that they publish an English translation as their Vox Populi Vox Dei column on their English page. It is good for self study because there is usually a delay of at least one day before they post the English.

I used to use Tensei Jingo a lot as self-study reading material, always trying to read the Japanese the day it came out. The next day (or sometimes not for several days) the English version would usually show up and I could check my comprehension against a professional translation and get some insight into the parts I couldn't understand. If the translation were published at the same time, it would be easier to "cheat" but the lag time forces you to struggle a bit, which is important if you are to make progress.

Asahi Shimbun apparently has some sort of premium service where you can get both the English and the Japanese of Tensei Jingo but I think you have to subscribe. I haven't bothered to read the details.

You can access Tensei Jingo from the Koramu or Shasetsu button in the bar at the top of the page at asahi.com, and you can access Vox Populi by clicking the English button and scrolling to the bottom of the English page.

I recommend copying and pasting the texts into a Word file because they only keep them online for a few days.
by Uma rate this post as useful

reply to this thread