Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Working Visa --> Tourist Visa 2008/2/26 23:05

Currently I have a VISA in Humanities (teaching English). The visa expiration date is later than the last day of my contract.

If I leave the country without a re-entry permit, my VISA will be voided. However, will
I still be able to enter the country on a 90 day tourist Visa? After my contract ends, I want to take advantage of the
JR Pass which is available for foreign tourists only.

I don't plan on using my working Visa in humanities
after my teaching job finishes.

I am American.

Thank you!
by jojokun  

Working Visa --> Tourist Visa 2008/2/27 09:42

There should be no problem, and you don't even have to leave and reenter the country to convert your work visa to a 90-day tourist visa. You can change it at an Immigration office (I've done this myself), although expect to be asked a few questions about your sightseeing plans.
If you want to get a nationwide Japan Rail Pass, then of course you will have to get this from outside Japan.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/27 11:18
The question is do do you actually need a temporary visitors visa or are you from a country that is visa free with Japan (eg you get a landing permission with temporary visitor status without actually having to apply for a real visa).

If you are from a visa-waiver country, the process should be quite simple, and you can fill out a "Change in Status" form at the Immigration Office.

If you are from a country where you need an actual visa, I think the status change process might be longer and require additional documents. But it is possible to change within Japan.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread