Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ite or itte? 2008/2/27 05:13
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to use ite or itte correctly in conversation. So for example, you could say

"Soba ni ite"

Stay by my side

What exactly does ite do to a noun. Or I've read another sentence where it might have some stuff then:

"to itte"

If ite is sorta like an action word, how would that relate to "to" since that means and.

Any examples and feedkbac greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Glenn
by Glenn  

Ite vs Itte 2008/2/27 09:47
Glenn,

I would strongly recommend getting a Japanese grammar book, or at least reading an online grammar site that explains this in detail.

Basically, ite comes from the verb iru, meaning "to be". Itte comes from "iu" (to say) or "iku" (to go). These are all used quite differently.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Just to add 2008/2/27 20:14
I too definitely recommend getting some grammar book... the Japanese grammar is completely different from English and other European languages.

As Dave in Saitama explained already, "ite" comes from the verb "iru (its polite form is "imasu")," meaning: to be. And "itte" comes from the verb "iu (its polite form is "iimasu"), meaning: to say, OR from the verb "iku (its polite form is "ikimasu"), meaning: to go. Both are "te-form" of the respective verbs.

It you take apart "Soba ni ite," it will break down into "(my) side, at, be."

About "....to itte," I am guessing that it comes (probably) from "iu," (meaning "to say") because it is headed by "to," which often comes after a quote. This phrase says "he/she/you said (the following), then." But since this is a chopped off phrase, it would help if you could post the whole sentence.

how would that relate to "to" since that means and.

"to" as a conjunction means "and" or "with," but it can also point to a quote, as explained above. An example of "to" with this meaning will be:

- Guren wa sayonara to itta.. (Glen said "Goodbye.")
by AK rate this post as useful

Might I suggest.... 2008/2/28 13:12
Tae Kims Guide to Japanese Grammar. Free, online, and very, very good.

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/
by asdf;lkjgh rate this post as useful

reply to this thread