Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

If i agree on perminent residency ... 2008/2/28 15:54
if i agree on permanent residency to live in japan will i have to revoke my status as an American citizen? I own property in the U.S so i need to come back how would i go back can i go back?
by soul  

... 2008/2/28 16:09
permanent residency is not the same as citizenship. You can be a permanent resident of Japan and a citizen of America at the same time.

Going back can be as simple as hopping on a plane.

see this page for immigration info:
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/28 17:02
Don't forget to get a re-entry permit before you leave for the States, or you'll lose your Permanent Residency status.
by Po rate this post as useful

. 2008/3/1 18:31
Green cards in the US are an example of permanent residence status. You're still a foreign national (in Japan you still need a Foreigners Registration Card from your city for example) but you don't have to renew your visa every X years. It probably also counts when you want to sign up for "big" things like leases or whatnot.

I was living on my spouse visa for 15 years before the guy at immigration finally asked "Why don't you just get go for permanent residency?" so I did. Waiting 15 years is probably overkill though... :)
by Pres rate this post as useful

reply to this thread