Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visa Switch Question 2008/2/29 15:59
Hi can anyone give me advice...I quit my job to leave Japan back in Sept. But then my Japanese best friend asked me to marry him so, I came back to Japan after about three months. My work visa was still valid. I have been living with his family unemployed up till now, Feb. My working visa actually expires the first week of April but we don't want to rush the marriage or start me in work again quite yet. What should I do? Can I apply for a switch to a three month visitors visa after my visa expires and then switch again to a marriage visa after that three months is up? Can I do all that while staying in Japan? If I could do this what process should I take? Also, will it be a problem that I have moved and quit my job back in Sept? My job was upset with me for braking the contract to leave even though it was urgent family business and I gave them good notice. I don't think they would be willing to cooperate to give me any letters though since they thought I was leaving Japan. If they found out I came back they would probably be even angrier that I broke the contract. What should I do?
by Ariadne  

Visa switch 2008/3/2 12:11
Ariadne,

Based on having been through the same process myself...

Can I apply for a switch to a three month visitors visa after my visa expires and then switch again to a marriage visa after that three months is up?

Yes - provided you are married by then. (Don't underestimate the time it takes to get all the paperwork in order to get married in Japan.)

Can I do all that while staying in Japan?

Yes.

If I could do this what process should I take?

Go to your nearest Immigration office and ask to switch your visa to a Temporary Visitor visa.

Also, will it be a problem that I have moved and quit my job back in Sept?

Don't think so.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/2 12:12
Yes, you should be able to change your status of residence to "tourist" and get 3-month duration of stay as a tourist. During these three months you could then marry and prepare to change your status of residence from "tourist" to "spouse of Japanese national". If you don't mind spending a few ten thousand yen, I recommend an immigration lawyer, who can give you expert advice and take care of your paper work.

Also, will it be a problem that I have moved and quit my job back in Sept?

Have you updated your alien registration with the new address and employment status? If no, you might run into problem. While I think that they will be minor problems, I can't say anything for sure.

My job was upset with me for braking the contract to leave even though it was urgent family business and I gave them good notice.

The termination terms of a labor contract should be specific on what are the justifiable reasons and the timing of notification for the termination of a contract. If you broke these terms, there is obviously a risk that you run into complications.

I don't think they would be willing to cooperate to give me any letters though since they thought I was leaving Japan.

They are required by law to give you documents, which state that you worked from them. In reality, if you actually did break your contract with them, that might be more complicated to achieve.

What should I do?

If you apply for a spouse visa, I don't think it will actually be necessary to get any document from your former company.

If I were you, I would be either looking for an immigration lawyer to consult with or go to the immigration bureau to start the whole process by yourself.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Just to add 2008/3/2 12:53
In any case, never, never let your valid visa EXPIRE before you apply for a new/changed visa status. Always be sure to stay on a valid visa.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread